gearbox and clutch 1st 3rd selectins problems

kyepan

Took the r for a 200mile trip four up yesterday, so that was quite a bit of load on the transmission. and now am experiencing transmission and gear selection problems when stationary, on moving its a little aquard but not bad.

when in neutral moving across the gate to the left is difficult and feels like I am pushing the whole box across. Similar to when the clutch pedal bracket went, but not.. cause when the bracket sheared it was difficult to engage the gear when across the gate, now it is moving across the gate that is the issue.

gearbox selector fork has been done with a recon box
AP clutch fitted
Clutch pedal bracket welded, but creaking again :(
clutch judder sometimes when pulling away from cold

will check clutch fluid
top up box oil, as it was spewing from the breather before and changing oil fixed similar selection issues before.

any other ideas? i can't really afford a box rebuild or clutch job..

kyepan

oh, that makes me feel better.

is there any information about checking the linkage for wear or which parts should be replaced to service it.

kyepan

has the flash light out and been under the bonnet, it looks like half my gearbox oil has come up out of the breather pip[e, its all over the box and pipe runs.

GTIR-LOZ

that is prob your problem then 8) :? :shock:

when oil comes out a breather it usual indicates that there is a blockage somewhere which is causing the oil to be sucked out of the breather

kyepan

does anyone have a pic of where the oil breather is under the plenum as i need to locate it on saturday.. and check to see if it vomiting oil?

thanks as always.

zia

i thought it,s under the airflow meter pipe looking down at the box its got uptail pipe.

zia

A

AZ STE

Kyepan,
Sure its from the breather might be your clutch hose where it connects to the front of the engine ,gone, worth taking a good look at it would give you similar gear change problems :wink:

kyepan

On closer inpection there is gear box oil all over the underside of the car.

I cannot get the transfer box filler lug undone, not enough leverage and puny arms.. :oops: so i can't tell you how much ol is in there..

The transfer box breather hose (10mm diameter) is on and intact it runs right up the back of the block and shows no signs of leakage.

going to top up the gearbox and see how things go.

kyepan

Further to this, i have just taken it for a test drive and noticed somthing else.

When the engine is off it will shift fine between gears.
When the engine is on, there is increased transmission noise to usual
When you depress the clutch at idle some of this noise goes away (i take it this is the first motion shaft spinning to a stop).

If you press the clutch and try to shift into first straight away then it doesn't like it.. if you wait for the first motion shaft to stop its ok.

then when warm after 15 mins, it doesn't matter if the lay shaft has stopped it just doesn't like shifting into first at all. and feels more clunky else where, with another increase in tranmission and gear noise.

edited (have also been getting mild clutch judder for about 2 months of light use) forgot about that. doh

Any help would be much appreciated..

zia

sounds like primary shaft bearings.it could be because the syncro teeth are worn and aren,t engaging properly.does it get stuck just before the 1 st gear gate the when you let the clutch up it engages? hate to say it gearbox needs investigating.
did you get any warranty on the box?
does your clutch pedal travel need adjusting?

zia