gear/transfer box oil

steve963

just noticed in the service manual it says, gearbox and transfer box oils are different, can anyone comment as I was ganna put the same in all

youngsyp

You can use the same one bud, as you can for the rear diff. Go for the Silkolene Syn 5 or Redline MT90. These are both GL5 rated iirc ?!

steve963

gonna do the back diff also so do need near 7 i think, cant get the f`in drain plugs undone though, tried everything!!!

youngsyp

steve963 said:
gonna do the back diff also so do need near 7 i think, cant get the f`in drain plugs undone though, tried everything!!!
Make sure you have the right size plug remover, put a bar on it and whack it with a mallet. The shock of the whacks should help free it up.
Failing that, try heating it with a blow torch !

They are a pain to remove though, from what I can remember !

Oh, and make sure you can undo the fill plugs first, before removing the drain plugs !!

J

jpward

steve963 said:

I had to buy a 600mm breaker bar bear in mind the plugs are 13mm so using a 1/2" square drive may wreck the plug its worth buying the little plug remover i got one that is T bar or you can use a 17mm socket on it, But on the diff you can get a ratchet on so i used a ratchet spanner worked a treat.

The gearbox drain was the one i also had fun with even with the big bar I had to use both feet and pull on the Front ARB and bar was flexing :lol:

PS if you dont have one a tip might be to buy an oil transfare pump simple one i bought was about £10 and is really a big syringe saves all the mess!

steve963

I had a drain plug key and a 2 meter bar!! just twisted the key hole???

Gonna try to knock it off now the transfer box is on the bench

Thanks Guys, may well but a syringe if I can get the filler plugs loose!!

J

jpward

youngsyp said:
Yes thou that one is better looking than mine I also found it great for putting the oil in the bike and quad as they have dry sumps the oil tank filler is small and another tip warm up the oil before using the gun's makes it easier to dispence unless you have popeye arms :lol:

Steve was they plug just a normal Cv type? you need an impact black type one!

Last edited by a moderator:

youngsyp

jpward said:
another tip warm up the oil before using the gun's makes it easier to dispence unless you have popeye arms :lol:
That's a good point actually. I always put mine on the radiator or in the airing cupboard before I do mine !

J

jpward

I just leave it on the intercooler after doing the Pre Fluid drain thats more than enough heat wouldnt want to melt the oil jar leaving it on a rad in the house especially gear oil!

:doh:

youngsyp

jpward said:
I just leave it on the intercooler after doing the Pre Fluid drain thats more than enough heat wouldnt want to melt the oil jar leaving it on a rad in the house especially gear oil!

:doh:
How hot do your rads get ? :shock:

J

jpward

youngsyp said:
How hot do your rads get ? :shock:
Burny hot thats why i've an oil cooler to go in car also need to sort out fans suspect theres a fault somewhere and there not coming on soon enough :x

steve963

damn tfer box drain plug, been hitting it with a coal chisel but the metals too soft, it now looks like the guy from T2 after Terminator shot him!

looks like im gonna have to do something, cant get the drain plug off, think i might fill it through the speedo sensor hole, and put it back on? (will be bit of a ball ache for the next owner, if there is one)

J

jpward

steve963 said:
damn tfer box drain plug, been hitting it with a coal chisel but the metals too soft, it now looks like the guy from T2 after Terminator shot him!

looks like im gonna have to do something, cant get the drain plug off, think i might fill it through the speedo sensor hole, and put it back on? (will be bit of a ball ache for the next owner, if there is one)
Did you try a little heat on it?

Now i dont mean light a fire under the car or anything just a small blow lamp or hot air gun will do the trick and gentle warm up the plug more than the box before when you had the chance to remove it with a 13mm or 12.5 (1/2") as you were pulling someone else should be hitting the ratchet with a hammer a bit like the impact driver physics but now i dont know how your are going to do it if you have semi forged it into a blob :lol: you might be on a last resort off welding a small bar to it in order to get something to put a twist on it ohh and i believe the plugs are cast so will require a cast welding rod to make a good arc weld and obviously dont put the darn thing back on buy one from a breakers believe the bluebirds and primera are same sizes needed!

steve963

tried a 'little' heat, melted the gearbox gator and stuff lol

gonna get a nut or bar welded on as you say, thanks