GAB suspension service

ollydj

Hi all, my mate has recently just bought a used set of these for his R. The rears have good damping effect but the fronts could do with a service, they're not so good. Does any one know who can service these shocks???

thanks in advance!!!

witneyrob

i have a 93 pulsar completely standard and i need some standard front shocks for it where can i get some if possible or do they recondition them?

j0ff

Sorry to bump an extremely old thread but...
I too have a set of GAB's on my 'r and they're very poor. Does anyone know if they are serviceable?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
:doh: Point taken. I didn't realise that was from 2010, I thought it was only a year old.

ollydj

We contacted Ian and had no luck. It would of ended up being more expensive to have these serviced/repaired than to go out and buy a complete set of something similar. The units we sent were in poor condition, the shafts had pitted, so he would of had to of had new shafts machined and i think the seals were of an odd size, i think has said something that he would have to import the seals from japan etc. If i remember he quoted us about 300+vat per side. For that i think we sourced a nice new set of KYB's which turned out to be a really nice shock.

SIR GTIR

I had mine retrofitted with bilstein inserts Transformed the Car completely wasnt cheap but the end result was amazing

Mr B

@SIR GTIR; you got any details on what Bilstein inserts are used as have some old gabs & these Bilsteins are bloody good designed dampers & would like to try them out ...

lakeview

you could always contact kyb they might still be willing to repair them but could be expensive

rob

Mr B

Not cost effective & not great shocks to start with, the bilstein are are very good large piston inverted style like on evo5 & Evo6TMK ...

Mr B

Yeh they are a proper job for fast road use, can you see what work been done to top of strut for retaining nut & has any visible work been done to bottom of strut ? will have to pull a front & rear KYB apart & have a measure & look at Bilstein insert data. If anyone got any info such as part numbers or vehicle model of Bilsteins being used in this retro fit it would simplify things greatly ... What shop done done yours ?

SIR GTIR

Na nothings been done at the bottom i dont know how the top looks I sent them the shocks complete and they dynoed the Other that was still functioning to set the damper rate