full engine rebuilds

1000ny

hi guy`s,

i`ve decided to do the rebuild on my r myself :roll: , so i just need to know what stuff should i stick in there i.e pistons, cranks, injecters, fuel pumps. and what stuff should i replace while i`ve got the engine out, lik the water pump i`ve heard is worth doing.

its off the road til its finished so i aint rushing, but i can`t afford a stroker kit, £2500 is too much in one go and i`m crap at saving.

i know some people will tell me to search but i have and i can`t find the info i`m looking for.

cheers in advance..andy.

zia

it would depend on how much you have to spend?

forged crank (optional)
h sectioned con rod (optional)
forge pistons
new rings
new oil pump
balanced crank and flywheel
new bearing main and big end
baffled sump ( optional)
ported head
lapped and gas flowed head (optional)
high lift cams (optional)
new water pump
new seal all round
head gasket 16 or 2.0mm
new chain (optional)
etc etc etc ermm have i missed anything?

zia

S

Sirnixalot

what turbo are you running? what HP do you intend to make? you say your adding foreged pistons and if you arent going for over 450bhp you will be fine with th standard connecting rods.

other than that replace the following

headgasket with one from HKS,Tomei or Trust
crank and rod bearings
water pump
distributor cap and rotor
spark plugs and spark plug wires
any freyed wires
replace ALL vacuum hoses with silicone ones (best that this is done one hose at a time so you dont mix them up)
Flywheel
clutch
throw out bearing
get the whole rotating assembly balanced

1000ny

if i`ve done my math correctly then i should be able to spend about £700ish a month, i`m aiming at sorting it by april-ish,

about going for over 450bhp, it depends how much i can afford in this time, but i only wanna be opening the thing up this once so i wanna be doing everything i can to it this time round.

thanks for the replies guys, i`ll print them out and use them as a list to work from.

A

antilag

i thought the standard crank and rods were forged anyway???? was the pistons bearing's and rod bolts that were the week bits?

S

Sirnixalot

yup the standard crank is as good as it gets, you only need to get some ARP connecting rod bolts and you are fine for 450bhp

ashills

cheers for all teh help fellas
any recommendations where to get the pistons etc and also bolts,bearings and gaskets(dont need headgasket)

1000ny

zia wrote:

baffled sump ( optional)

What's that? (sorry...)

yeah, i was wondering that myself.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Baffles welded in the sump to stop oil surge/starvation on hard cornering. The baffles also strenghten the sump pan and help protect the sump pan and oil pick up from damage.

S

GINGA

zia wrote:

new oil pump
new water pump

Why???
new oil pump is not really required but replacing the gears in it is :wink:
Waterpump is a must really its only £40 and if you don't replace it chances are it will fail shortly afterwards (speaking from experience here :oops: ) and its ackward to change in situ :wink:

nickg123

Water pump is a HORRIBLE job to have to do - we did mine when the head was off, and it still wasn't easy - you may as well do this - as people say, when this fails (as they seem to) you will regret not changing it!

a Full gasket set is a good buy from Nissan - around £110 i believe it was - along with Fuel Filter, oil filter etc etc.......

If you could live without the car for a while, you'll be able to do some awesome work on it - get the engine bay spotless, not something you see on a GTIR very often :lol:

1000ny

If you could live without the car for a while, you'll be able to do some awesome work on it - get the engine bay spotless, not something you see on a GTIR very often
yeah, thats what i`m aiming for, i`ve got til next april to do it, its only been off the road 2 weeks and its killing me already, theres no sense of great road presence when your driving a sunny1.6sr. :x

and i`m gonna try to do most of the work myself so expect lots of "what does this bit do?" posts. :wink:

G

GTI-R Kid

I don't really understand this bit about the baffled oil sump. Do you actually buy a baffled sump (is it expensive?) or do you get your original one altered?