Fuel pump removal!

Mr C

Finally!!

Finally got the pump replaced today. Got a mechanic mate to come out and take a look at it. After some pulling and tugging we eventually took the decision to just pull the pump through the carrier complete with sock, the top half of the carrier was then much easier to separate from the bottom without shattering it.

The bottom section however would still not come out of the tank and with no visible idea of what was holding it in place we ended up zip tying the new pump to the top half and shoving it back onto the bottom half.

Bit of electrical joining and after some cranking she fired up and ran for the first time in a month :)

So I must thank Deek for coming all the way out from the top of Kent to Ipswich to sort it out for me, top fella
If anyone down that way needs something doing then PM me and I'll put you in touch.

Thanks for the posts above too, much appreciated.

Mr C

Good to hear that you got it replaced. Such a strange scenario.
Thanks, it is a strange one. It seemed that because the bracket the carrier slots into was only glued (or still glued) at the top, it meant as you pulled on the carrier it picked the lower edge up which was perhaps why it was catching something but we couldn't really be sure as we couldn't get that part out.

Anyway, I should be good for a few tens of thousands of miles now but if it ever fails again I'll just stick an external pump on it and be done with it. I've never really known why they put them in the tank anyway to be honest.

Braveheart

I've never really known why they put them in the tank anyway to be honest.
Electric fuel pumps work better pushing then pulling.So the closer to the source, the better and also, as low or near the bottom of tank, so that it has more "head Pressure" meaning the weight of the fuel in the tank helps put suction pressure on the pump and therefore helps the pump discharge better.
Fuel will siphon from the bottom of the tank, up the line inside and then back down into the suction of the pump and so the lower the pump is, the more head pressure you have. Lets say fuel weighs about 10 pounds per gallon, and if you had three gallons stacked on top of each other, the gas on the bottom would weigh 30 pounds, that is "head pressure".

Mr C

Fair enough. I guess that means they can get away with a weaker less expensive pump that way.

Unfortunately when starting it this morning it would appear that the pump isn't priming, couldn't hear it anyway, was working perfectly yesterday

It's not the fuse as I pulled that out when I thought I may have flooded it and it was fine. Didn't have time this morning but I now have to go through the electrics and most likely pop the tank again, awesome, as I put all the fuel back in the tank after we got it running.

Argh!!!

Mr C

Finally Mk 2!!

Testing the electrics this morning, got nothing through the pump so had to crack the tank open again. Can't say where the fault was exactly but it was definately in the wiring from the tank cap to the pump.

I re-cut the wires and soldered them together but noticed when I put the Walbro connector back in it seemed much tighter than when it came out, might have been me as I had my hand in ice cold fuel.

But anyway, she lives again, went for a test drive this time, only let her warm up last time and it drove way better and got home too so bonus!!

If I never see another fuel pump I'll be a very happy man :)