fuel pressure, idle, fans not working

hainesz

can anyone here tell me what pressure should my adjustable fuel pressure regulator be set to? the engine is standard apart from k&n induction kit, decat and mongoose exhaust,

also like a lot of people on here im have idle trouble and no fans working, it starts from cold at 2k and once warm goes to 1.5k, ive tried replaceing the coolant temp sensor and adjusted the idle screw all the way in, backed off the throttle cable but no joy... any suggestions?

as to the fans, the car will warm all the way to the top off the gauge and the fans wont kick in but the fans work when i bridge the 2 pins on the relay i have tried other relays but still dont work... ive also checked the fuse and thats fine also? i thought it was the coolant temp sensor so i changed that but still no joy? any other suggestions?

cheers peeps:cry:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Would it be stupid to ask why you're running an adjustable FPR, and is it possible that's causing some of your idle problems (because it's forcing more fuel through the injectors at idle)?

Have you checked the throttle position sensor?
Have you checked for vacuum leaks (my dump valve was found to leak at idle)?
Is your PCV clogged/stuck open?

I wouldn't worry too much about the fans; they kick in pretty late, and if you've seen them working when you bridge that connector they probably work all the time. - I thought mine were busted because I'd never seen them on, but every now and then I'd open the bonnet and see them spinning down (like they'd been on). Then I eventually saw them spinning on a hot day after I'd been running the car hard.

hainesz

Would it be stupid to ask why you're running an adjustable FPR, and is it possible that's causing some of your idle problems (because it's forcing more fuel through the injectors at idle)?

Have you checked the throttle position sensor?
Have you checked for vacuum leaks (my dump valve was found to leak at idle)?
Is your PCV clogged/stuck open?

I wouldn't worry too much about the fans; they kick in pretty late, and if you've seen them working when you bridge that connector they probably work all the time. - I thought mine were busted because I'd never seen them on, but every now and then I'd open the bonnet and see them spinning down (like they'd been on). Then I eventually saw them spinning on a hot day after I'd been running the car hard.
thanks for your fast reply buddy

FPR was on it when i got it... i even tried the standard one and no difference... the fans dont kick in atall the engine temp will go all the way to the top of the gauge (off the chart) with no movement from the fans what so ever, whilst using the search function i came across a post where someone had the same problem and said they had to re-wire the switch back to the ecu, i tried asking for any more info on this repair but had no responce from him...

as to the tps i tried the how to and it made no difference
ill have a look at the pcv next buddy
might take the DV off and check it out... is there a way to test it?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
just took my DV off and it was full of oil... is this normal? what would or could cause this?
It's not uncommon; if you've still got the original crank case breather hose in your inlet pipe any blow-by will take that route and go through the tubo and ultimately into the cylinders to be burnt. In theory only vapour should get into the inlet and oil should be scavenged back to the sump, but after 20 years that might not be working any more. - The DV is a low point in the system and can collect the oil.
Similarly if the turbo is playing-up, but lets assume that's fine if you're not having any problems with boost or smoking from the exhaust.

Try pinching the vacuum line to the DV. If the idle drops then it's leaking under vacuum; if nothing happens then it's probably no that and you can move on.

I think there's a troubleshooting procedure for the fans, let me have a look...
Shamelessly hot-linked from Fusion Ed:
This one has idle problems.
...and I can't find anything about fan control at the moment.

hainesz

top man... thanks for all your help buddy, i managed to get my revs down to just over 1k by resetting the TPS again got the voltage to 0.46v... just these fans to do now