Fuel feed check... help

geetee

My R is stranded at work. Turns over but won't start.

I thought it was the fuel pump... when I turn the key to the last position before starting I am used to hearing the fuel pump prime - it doesn't do that any more.

So I replaced the pump with a brand new Walbro 255lph (gonna get one anyway).

No change. Still no priming noise. :?

I have checked and there is 12V getting to the pump and if I lift it out of the tank it spins up OK.

The question is - what is the easiest way to check that there is fuel pressure getting to the engine... I guess pull the feed pipe of the FPR and check that fuel comes out when the car is turned over???

If there is pressure to the FPR how can I check the FPR is letting fuel to the rail?

The other thing that concerns me is when trying to start the car now it feels like the engine is lurching about...... have I thrown a bearing or something?? And would this stop it starting??

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

S

skar

if you still cant hear priming, then the fuel pump wouldnt be working at all...
check the negative line back to the ecu is still good... just earth the fuel pump to nearest bit on the body and try starting...

if it still don't fire then :S i dunno

the lurching is probably your battery dying.

Rav

thats right check the earth which is under the rear seats and also check the fuel pump relay

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
You could pull one of the hoses off the filter, but I would have something to collect any spilt fuel in as if will be coming out under pressure. If I've read the wiring diagram right, the 3rd fuse up in the right hand collumn (15A) feeds the fuel pump relay, so it might be worth checking that.

Have you checked for a spark?