FSE Power Boost valve bypass?

K

KrissJ

I've got a power boost valve on my R. Its suppin petrol like nothing else I've ever known (11-14mpg average!) even when I'm not going that fast. After puttin a post about it the other week afew poeple said it'd be the valve so I had it checked. It was at 6% co2 on idle & off the scale when revved!!! The mechanic set it to 1.5% but its still usin loadsa fuel (about 17mpg - 170 miles to a tank) so he said I can just block off the pipe comin out of the top of the boost valve to reset it to normal. I was just woinderin if this was right cos I don't wanna knacker owt?

my other mods are exhaust, induction & BOV.

sypher

by the pipe on top i assume he means the manafold vac/pressure hose. i'm unsure of the pressure at idle but it should be 2.94bar without vac' pipe.check the coolant temp sensor resistance, should be 300-330ohm @ 80'c.. check ignition inc' plug gap and correct type then agn' timing 20' btdc but may have to retard it slghtly depending on (octane ratng) fuel quality..

K

KrissJ

sorry but when it comes to engines my knowledge is limited. I think I understand what you mean.

Does the power boost valve send fuel through an extra pipe cos what he said was thatif I take the pipe off the top of the valve & block the end so its not sucking air in then the boost valve will no longer be working & so it'll be reset to how it was before it was fitted.

He said it can't under fuel or owt cos the ECU will compensate but as I have limited mechanical/GTIR knowledge I just wanted to make sure as I don't wanna knacker my car.

sypher

the small pipe that goes to the valve from the engine intake manafold is there to vary the fuel pressure as i said earlier unsure of running pressures but when at idle would expect about 2.5-3 bar then on boost should RISE to compensate ie;little air little fuel then lots of air lots of fuel i wouldn't disconnect this air pipe coz it'll be at 2.94 bar fuel pressure no matter what the engine state then on boost when the injectors go to inject more fuel for the boosted air they will quickly use all the fuel in the rail causing starvation which'll cause ''det'' not good.. but if tyhis only happened since u changed the reg' i'd say its faulty or wrongly adjusted. putting asside the emissions what pressure was it set to(bar).. know this is long winded but i'd say its all relevant if u need anything clearer just say and somebody'll help. as thats what these forums are all about

sypher

sorry mate forgot to say the ecu can only control the injector pulses not how much fuel there is coz appart from the motor its all mechanical.

K

KrissJ

dunno what bar its set to sorry. I do need help with it though cos its costin me a fuckin fortune in petrol & I'm very quickly runnin out of money!!! But I have to keep the R. :?

K

KrissJ

I don't have it! That's the thing, it was fitted when I got the car & I don't have the original parts or even know what they are. I would take it off & sacrifice a bit of performance if it meant better mpg cos its just rediculous. If I had 350bhp then I wouldn't mind but seeing as I'm about 100 short of that I think the way its guzzling fuel at the mo is crazy & I can't afford it!

zia

what you want to do is basically get feul gauge tapped into feul line check what pressure system is at.if higher that 3.0 bar remove the top 13mm nut on the f/reg using flat screwdriver turn until you have 2.5 at idle with no vac.

zia

K

KrissJ

OK, thanks for that. I'll give that a try (probably on the weekend) & get back to you. :)