Front driveshaft boots

A

Anonymous

I need to replace both drivers side CV boots; does anyone know if the gear oil dumps out when I pull the shaft, or is it only a little bit?

I'm kind of assuming that I'll have to drain all the gear oil out in a controlled manner first, in which case, how much does it realistically hold, and is Castrol Syntrax 75w90 ok to stick in?

Joe

S

Sunny Nutter

if its just the outside cv joint boot, you dont have to remove the driveshaft from the gearbox!

M

MORRISMINOR GTI-R

yeh like said you realy dont need to take the shaft out but im sure it will be 10 times easier with them out as they dont have retaining clips they simply knock off. On the passenger side u will not need to atke the cup out of the box as all u have to do is loosen the clip around the inner boot and the shaft will slide out of the tri-pod style thingy :wink:

The drivers side is different and has a retaining clip for the tr-pod thing so it will not slide out. The clip is realy easy to take out though with the cup in the box still. However when you take out the drivers side full shaft and cup NO oil should come out as the position of the cup is kind of above the max fill level for the box oil :wink: unless the front end of the car is pointing downwards then u might get ever so slight loss

A

Anonymous

sadly

its both boots on the drivers side shaft that need replacing.... I'm thinking about syntrax from halfords, as no-one has MT90, and it'll cost £62 delivered from Demon-tweeks for 5 litres!