Front bumper cutting

Gray

Got a FMIC coming next week so I'm starting to get things ready for ti to go on. I was wondering do you cut out the bits that the number plate is attached to in the middle or does it clip out.

Just asking before I go at it with a hacksaw at the weekend - hacksaw the best way to go about it?

J

justin666

Which FMIC kit is it..???

Depending on the kit there are a variety of ways to do it :D. You can get some kits to go behind the bumper without hacking it to peices. Depends on what kinda look your going for aswell :D

J.

Gray

I'm going for the hacked to pieces look obviously lol and some black mesh
Its the Hybrid kit.

J

justin666

Gray said:
I'm going for the hacked to pieces look obviously lol and some black mesh
Its the Hybrid kit.
In that case just hacksaw a big hole in the front and job done :D :D I only ask about the look cause Ive seen a few R's now with IC kits fitted behind bumpers that from the outside look completely standard so giving a unmodified look. Its all about mounting the cooler slightly further back and removing any unneccessary plastic from the back of the bumper to squeeze it in :)

In your case tho, just cut out the whole center bit and move the number plate over to the side of the bumper :D

J

justin666

Just take ya time when cuttin the bumper and make sure you get it right first go cause its one of thos things you dont really get a second chance at :cry: Sure you will be fine tho buddy :D

Fitting FMICs is not all that difficult but is quite time consuming and when your about half way through you will wonder why you even started this stupid job and swear lots :D :D All worth it in the end tho :D

Dont forget to get some pics up when its done so we can admire your handy work :D

J.

Gray

ill prolly be swearing 15 minutes in just hoping i can get all the pipework to fit without having to prick about too much, should be able to rotate the battery but then just gotta worry about the washer bottle and towing eye, air con is already gone

and want to make sure i dont get any boost leaks

then its off to hiteq to get me greddy emanage fitted an should be sound for about 1.2 bar til i get some bigger injectors

J

justin666

Gray said:
ill prolly be swearing 15 minutes in just hoping i can get all the pipework to fit without having to Richard about too much, should be able to rotate the battery but then just gotta worry about the washer bottle and towing eye, air con is already gone

and want to make sure i dont get any boost leaks

then its off to hiteq to get me greddy emanage fitted an should be sound for about 1.2 bar til i get some bigger injectors
A man with a plan :D :D

JIMMYBACK

cutting holes in the inner wing is the biggest problem i had also relocating the washer bottle was a nightmare.i ended up just binning the fcuking thing :shock: :? :lol: :lol: :wink:

geoff pine

jig saw will make ita lot easer drill a small hole stick the jigsaw in and a way you go make sure you have a firm grip just follow the shape thats there. hack saws no good you will need a pad saw if you dont have a jig saw , did mine last week dont look to bad. 8)

Gray

Dad's got a jig saw
Theyre only good for doing straight lines tho arent they?
Did you both fit the hybrid kit?
I might just take it out til i can relocate it - the washer bottle i mean

geoff pine

jigsaws are for cuting out odd shapes not just staight lines just use a scrolling blade i just use a metal cuting blade . nice and slow take your time had to keep trying the bumper and trim bits of the back till i was happy with the fit. then made brackets for both sides and the front dont want it falling off as i have cut some of the old fitting of. used a hot glue gun for the mesh . the intercooler is a hybrid look alike, brought some mikalor clamps as the clamps that came with it were c rap hoses are silicone so fine. small washer bottle from demon tweeks only one pump so teed the washer pipes in the boot together and took the wires from the frontwasher to power it just got to fine a fuseable conection for the battery in the boot .

Gray

Well I used a big ass saw in the end to cut the rough shape then used a stanley knife for the rest still gotta paint and mount the mesh but its 90% done.

I was wondering lookin at the car witht he bumper off - to fit a front mount intercooler do you have to remove the bumper bar that the bumper sits on as it looks like it could get in the way a lot. if so how does the bumper stay on :shock:

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Gray said:
Well I used a big bottom saw in the end to cut the rough shape then used a stanley knife for the rest still gotta paint and mount the mesh but its 90% done.

I was wondering lookin at the car witht he bumper off - to fit a front mount intercooler do you have to remove the bumper bar that the bumper sits on as it looks like it could get in the way a lot. if so how does the bumper stay on :shock:
You have to take an angle grinder (with metal cutting disk) to the square main bumper frame, something similar to this:

(photo copied from the members section courtesy of Mic Quinn)

As you can see from the photo the FMIC is attached to the underside of the bumper via 2 bolts, not sure which "Hybrid" your getting but 99% have a way of fixing similar to this.

Easy job, just take your time and you will be fine.

Good Luck and have fun :wink:

Steve

Gray

Aha that looks like the best way of mounting i just asked this in another thread in Tuning & Upgrades. At least this way the front mount is securely mounted and the bumper still has something to sit on and it cant be seen through the mesh in the bumper!

No I just gotta find / buy an angle grinder lol

Thanks Steve thats helped me a lot. I'm sure i'm going to have to end up ripping out the washer bottle until I can be bothered moving it to the boot aswell. Hopefully I can rotate the battery out the way.

Gray

Got the hybrid kit today the instructions are a bit crap and the clips are the worst things i've seen ever they dont even fit so going b&q 2moro to buy some jubilee clips

Everything else looks sound though,

just one thing, how do i go about making the holes bigger that the pipes are to run through?

Gray

Yeah Steve

I dont have an angle grinder to cut the bumper bar but i have a big saw will that do? just cutting the front bit of the bumper bar out

but im not sure how im going to enlarge the holes behind the headlights