Flat as hell... any suggestions?

• Thread starter mynheers_a_pint
  • Start date
M

mynheers_a_pint

Hi All,

I've just got back from pod after a really good day but I'm slightly miffed about my car's performance today. It started well this morning, everything working, nothing falling off. Then disaster! the Elbow decided to part company with the turbo, losing all the bolts in the process. I had to do maybe 40 miles like that and the car was overfueling like hell- my assumption is because the lambda sensor was reading 0 and when the car boosted, it threw fuel in to compensate. Anyway, I got to Pod and through some scrounging, managed to get some bolts to reattach it, minus 1 gasket. Perfect! ish. I then signed on to give it a run and to be honest, I was massively underwhelmed. And so was everyone else. It was horrendously flat the whole way down and after a second go, just in case it was me being shit, resigned myself to the fact the car wasn't working well. The drive home was equally uninspired and despite boosting, it didn't pull- it was like the timing was retarded so much, it had lost everything. It seemed very strange under boost too- one minute it his 1.3bar, the next 1.6 where it should be.

So Im stumped. all that changed was the exhaust and while it's not perfect, it's far from hanging off/blowing like a Vietnamese hooker. Any ideas? No codes and no boost hoses off that I can see.

thanks!

Oh, the time was a dismal 14 seconds. I was so embarrassed, i left the timing slip behind. Stupid car.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Replace the gasket and make sure all other bolts are there and tight ie turbo to manifold and manifold to head.

M

mynheers_a_pint

Replace the gasket and make sure all other bolts are there and tight ie turbo to manifold and manifold to head.
Thanks both for the replys.

It's crazy what a difference having the elbow fitted properly makes so I'll certainly be getting that sorted, without question. I'm still worried there's something else wrong, though. The whole day was the tale of two cars, for me; early on... I couldn't fault it. Later, it was utter shit.

I had done a code check- see the orignal post and it returned the normal 55. I'm thinking I might book it in for a tune as well in lieu of the fact the car's been off the road for the lat year which probably doesn't help!

M

mynheers_a_pint

I've managed to get four bolts on the elbow (the 5th, as with all Garrett aftermarket turbos, won't go in) but I'm not convinced the performance is there still. my only other thought is that the Distributor may have moved. I remember originally it had a sticker over it to show it hadn't been adjusted and was originally far more centrallised. Now, it's tilted towards the bulk head. i'm sure that if the ignition has changed since it was mapped, that could be an issue as well but i don't know if it's retarded or advanced. Any suggestions?

P

pulsarboby

as above
but why on earth the timing would move is strange, unless someone had left the bolts loose!!

M

mynheers_a_pint

as above
but why on earth the timing would move is strange, unless someone had left the bolts loose!!
Well, it's clear the garage had it off for one reason or another when they changed the release fork (They did it with the engine in situe so maybe they took the dissy off for more access? I don't know for why, otherwise) as the bolt is not the correct one. I remember that originially, the dissy was nearly dead centre and as said, it's now tilted towards the bulkhead. I did try to move it gently with my hand and it was firm, but i didn't give it a heave as I didn't want to break anything. I'll stick a socket on it tonight to test but I think it needs to be timed as you've indicated.