Flaming death narrowly averted!!

stumo

glad it didnt all go up in smoke on you,but am i the only one that cant figure out how the turbo adds an extra bar of pressure to the fuel system pressure ??? come on reaaaallllyyyy since when does the turbo charge the fuel lines too :doh:. unless i have the wrong end of the stick completely on what has previousily been written lol, o well:-D

the fuel pressure regulator is linked to the manifold (via a pipe), as the manifold pressure increases (and decreases) the fuel pressure will increase (and decrease) by the same amount.....and it isn't even April fools day! :thumbsup:

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I know this is a serious thread but it makes a funny read with all the banter.

A general comment is I replaced my fuel lines and clips in the engine bay for about £5 by going to a local hydraulics shop. If you've not already done this its worth considering when you next service your car.

Fusion Ed

holy ****. I'm going to save that pic as one of the most stupid dumb-arse DIY mechanic things I have ever seen... (along with pistons repaired with JB weld and randomly drilled con rods...

Fusion Ed

the fuel pressure regulator is linked to the manifold (via a pipe), as the manifold pressure increases (and decreases) the fuel pressure will increase (and decrease) by the same amount.....and it isn't even April fools day! :thumbsup:
^^^ hes right you know, Imagine turbo was running three bar boost, and the injectors ran at three bar fuel pressure. No fuel would flow out of the injectors...

stumo

holy ****. I'm going to save that pic as one of the most stupid dumb-arse DIY mechanic things I have ever seen... (along with pistons repaired with JB weld and randomly drilled con rods...
Many many years ago a guy buys a set of brake pads and asks how to fit them. I said that i couldn't tell him how to fit them cos if he got it wrong then he'd try to blame me. He told me to go f myself and he'd get his mate to fit them....

He comes back a few days later saying his pads are made wrong, his mate says 1 set in 10 are made wrong.

we put the car on a ramp (with the guy watching), removed the wheels......... and his "mate" had only fitted three pads :der:

The guy ended up buying a new caliper, pair of discs (cos the other one was knackered too) AND a new set of pads cos his mate couldn't find the missing pad..... :lol::lol::lol:

Fusion Ed

FAIL!!!!!!!

Here are the other fails I have come across from web or whatever:

DIY con rod lightening.

Trying to do work under the car with no axle stands...

Repaired piston, this was actually taken from a working engine that was not stripped due to the pistion iirc.

DIY flywheel lightening gone wrong:

Another DIY flywheel explosion. It took out everything, bell housing, clutch, distributor, bonnet, rad, firewall etc...

Mad people out there...

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
glad it didnt all go up in smoke on you,but am i the only one that cant figure out how the turbo adds an extra bar of pressure to the fuel system pressure ??? come on reaaaallllyyyy since when does the turbo charge the fuel lines too :doh:. unless i have the wrong end of the stick completely on what has previousily been written lol, o well:-D
Via the fuel pressure regulator.

http://www.gtiroc.com/index.php?page=regulator

stumo

Yup, lots of mad people out there :lol:

we had another car come in, the woman said that every time she braked there was a loud click.

We sussed out what side was clicking and took the wheel off.......one just pad fell out!

There were no clips holding the pads in and although one pad had stayed in place the other (the one that fell out) had been rubbing on the wheel (like a lathe) and had almost cut through the steel wheel :shock:

The other side had been fitted correctly.

We showed the woman who said her brother had fitted the pads.........:der:

Al Mac

Right, just picked up a new filter from the local Eurocarparts (well three in fact, to save me hunting around next time I need one) - not only does the somewhat more solid metal casing instantly inspire more confidence than the plastic tat, it also seems to be about twice the size/volume of the old one. I'll stick it on the R when I get home, and then that should be fine until the next thing decides to expire at another inconvenient point in time :lol: