Fitting New Brakes.- Advice please?

maz

I just bought the 310mm Wilwood kit from the group buy, with hoses, pads, and brake fluid. now they arrived today and i spent my remaining wages on them, so fitting them will have to be DIY.

Ive never fitted brakes before in my life, and will most likely be learning as i go along, by reverse engineering the current front brakes, im pretty good at this kind of thing and havnt let my self down yet...Do you think i should attempt it? or leave it untill i can get a mechanic friend or something?

if you think its easy enough for me to attempt, then give me advice please on what parts i should be carefull at, and anything i should look out for!

thanks in advance.

/maz

O

Odin

Go for it mate, Its not a hard job to do at all.

I'd make sure you do one side at a time so you can check the other side if you get stuck lol, Its all pretty straight forward, The only problem I can think of is cutting off the old disc guard or removing it properly as it could be a right pain I recon.

Apart from that just make sure you bleed the whole system including the rears, Now there's supposed to be some special way of doing the GTIR but I just start from the one farthest away and work forward , And it seems to work for me lol.

Rob

CruiseGTi-R

If you got grooved/holed discs, make sure you get the direction/side right. (look at photos of Porsches and stuff in mags, soon get an idea of which way round is best).

Removing old brake line unions was a bit of pain too, try to undo em without twisting the metal brake line.

youngsyp

With regard to the old disc stone guards (back plates) if you removed the hub bearing, you can take the whole thing off that way. If you're not that way inclined, use an angle grinder.....carefully !

When you do the brake union bolts back up, be gentle with them as they are very soft and don't need much torquing up to be tight !

Make sure the hub face, where you'll mount the new disc onto, is immaculately clean. If it's not, you could get excessive disc runout and wobbly discs when braking ! Use a good wire brush on a drill and some fine wet and dry sand paper if needed !

Give the pad back plates and nice thin layer of copper grease, that'll stop them from squealing in the future !

Make sure everything is nice and tight when you've finished !

Apart from that, it's not a difficult job so, you should be fine !

maz

cheers for the advice guys, lots of great stuff here, im looking forward to tackling this asap. love getting my hands dirty with the pulsar, as everythings 13 years old its mostly nuts and bolts and im finding it easy to work on things once i get in the middle of it all. screw the inhabitions!

faz

as its 13 years old its mostly seized nuts and bolts:D

I'll be doing similar this weekend aswell hopefully!