Fitting clutch master cylinder

Mark_GTiR

Just bought a master cylinder of JIW (cheers mate!!) and was wondering if this was something I could have a crack at myself or is it just far too awkward?

I've heard it is a bit of a ball ache but I don't mind if I take my time and get a little help...

I've had a quick search but thought I'd ask too.. any pointers would be great. Cheers guys.

Mark

N

Norfy

did one of these recently, wasn`t that bad really but can be a little fiddly in places

you need to disconnect the pin that holds it to the pedal from the inside which can be very fiddly.
i took the top half off the inlet manifold, which gave me just enough room.
then the two bolts fixing it to the body is left, which wasn`t too bad.

took me about 1 1/2 hrs

A

AJ4

Its a bit of an arse job the first time, expect to lose a bit of skin on that razor sharp edge just above it :D the hardest part is getting the nuts off that hold the cylinder to the firewall ( engine side of the firewall ).

Top tip - hacksaw an old spanner in half, place the straight bit inside a bit of copper tubing ( plumbing stuff ) and hammer it flat so it holds the spanner ( and makes an extension on the handle ). Bend the copper pipe into the extremely weird shape you need to get the spanner on the firewall bolts.... ;)

J

jiw

take as much stuff off above the cylinder (not the inlet as thats being silly :wink:

You can then remove the reservoir undo the pipe and the top mounting nut.

Once this is done jack the passenger side up and remove the oil filter, you should be able to get your hand/arm up their and undo the bottom mounting nut with a 1/4 drive ratchet, you can then pull the cylinder out.

Re-assembly is the reverse basically, make sure the rod is adjusted to the same distance as the master cylinder you removed so the pedal bite remains the same, it will be a bit fiddly to get back in but once it is you should get the rest done as easy as removal.

Oh and remember to re-fit the oil filter :wink:

J

jpward

Im in the middle of doing mine hehe ill send you pics to your email if you so require? ps these guys did it the hard way! :wink:

Get yourself a 11mm flare nut wrench, long nose pliers and a small socket set and if you have a 10 and 12mm ratchet wrenches with a swivel head it will make life a lot easier for you!