Failed MOT, Wot now?

S

si.c R

My car just failed its mot this morning on windscreen wipers and brakes :cry: Windscreen wipers obviousley no problem but the brakes have got me thinking. I wanted to up-rate the brakes anyway as the standard ones are sh!t but the problem is i still have standard wheels :shock: I want to try and get both wheels and brakes done at the same time and i was thinking of a set of 16's and either godspeed brakes or hi-spec. Wot do you all think would be the best brakes :?: Also i dont want to spend loads of money but i do want to get sum light and relativley cheap wheels as my budget is quite low :(

Cheers for any info.

Moved to regular maintenance - FAST GUY

R

rsnissan

This might get moved soon :wink:

If on a buudged Hispec do a kit that utilises the standard calipers and with bigger discs. Not sure about the clearance on with the 14's though.

What exactly did the brakes fail on?? i.e is the caliper ok etc.

S

si.c R

Yeah the calipers were o.k but i wanted to uprate the brakes anyway sometime. I dont think it is worth getting standard replacments and then in 6 months when i can afford it getting a better setup. It failed on the discs and the pads. Just need to find somewhere cheap to buy bigger wheels to fit the brakes under. Also dont know if its an easy job to fit new brakes :?: I have replaced pads and discs before but never done calipers and hoses.

youngsyp

For cheap rims try rarerims.co.uk. They are not only cheap but, very light. All the Honda guys use them.
As for changing the brakes, if you have changed the pads and discs, fitting a conversion kit will be no problem. Just ask if you need advice. :D What you buy now depends on what you want out of your brakes. If you just use them on the street then, a big disc and standard caliper set up will be more than adequate, just make sure you get a good set up ie good discs, pads and braided lines with a fluid change. If you intend to take the car on a track then you may need to change the calipers aswell. I can't advise on this as I haven't had mine on the track yet but, I would put money on a big disc/standard caliper set up being up to the task. Again, if it is done right.
If you don't quite have the budget for the big discs at the moment then, get some cheap standard sized discs with good pads (Pagid fast road or Mintex M1144's) and change the fluid and replace the standar lines with braided items. This will put you in good stead for when you can afford the better set up.