Failed MOT -> Brake binding? (Not)

warringtonjack

Hello people, long time no speak! :D

I would just like to know if anybody else has had their caR fail an MOT test for 'brakes binding'? Apparently the tester says there is rolling resistance to such an extent that he has failed it for brakes not releasing properly. My mechanic basically says thats bollox cos he stripped and cleaned the brakes prior to the test.

Ergo, must be the drivetrain. To the peeps in the know, is there much resistance from our viscous-coupled 4wd system?

A

AJ4

you can't do a brake test on a 4wd car as it knacks the transfer box... they can only do a 'road' test. I'd be going back to not only get my MOT certificate, but to sue them for damaging your car ;)

warringtonjack

Hmmz, four types of cars should not be brake roller tested, including any car with more than one axle permanently engaged, and a car with limited slip diffs.

So we tick both boxes? :(

D

deslynam

I wonder if they use a slight incline near their testing station, park up and see if the car moves down the hill or not?
Thought I'd hope it was rather more scientific than that, in order to standardise it across the country! :lol:

*edit - or did the tester mean the handbrake not releasing? :?: