external wastegate and screamer

greggyboy

I'm considering changing to an external wastegate and screamer i'm currently running a 3071R can i adapt this setup or do i have to change the turbo and everything:?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I'm no expert, but surely if you have a turbo with an internal wastegate and want to run an external one, you need a turbo without the wastegate to get the best out of the setup.

I think you'll also need a manifold with a port for the wastegate on it, so it's a turbo-off job anyway.

darkyGTI-R

I wouldn't bother with the screemer mate the external wastegate sounds much better on it's own,besides that the law might pull you over more with a screemer!
You need to remain as inconspicuos as possible these days, too many moaners about loud cars at the moment especially loud exhausts a screemer is going to attract unecessary attention:)

katemc

Would of thought you could change the exhaust housing on the turbo quit easy, but then cost of external wastegate/manifold/ screamer etc !!
I did love the screamer pipe on mine but after a while it gets too much!!:oops:

noriek2003

weld the flapper up and stick a wastegate flange on the standard manifold..(you'd need to modify inside the manifold for it to work well due to that divider inbetween the runners), alternatively buy a manifold with a wastegate flange on it already.

personally wouldn't bother though, seems like a waste of time.

katemc

you can buy adaptor plates on ebay with ex wastegate ports on them. Only problem is there approx 60mm tall , so depending on how the turbos mounted is may hit things!?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
No matter what, it requires taking the turbo off and either changing the turbine housing or welding the wastegate shut?

Sounds to me like the easiest solution is to take the whole lot of the engine and replace it with one from somewhere else (then sell the current setup to someone who's happy with an internal wastegate). - I wasn't too far off this time, I must be learning something after all.

katemc

also i have the housings from a hks 3037s , which you are welcome to.
i have no idea if there the same but its a garrett unit, PM if you want them?