Exhaust wrap effectiveness.

youngsyp

I've done a little investigatory work and it seems I haven't been ripped off. I've managed to find a manufacturer of stuff that's very similar, if not the same as what I bought. And it's normally used in other industries (molten metal handling, welding etc..)but, it does have all the properties that were advertised.
Effectively, it's Silica webbing tape that, is made up of around 95% Silica. That means that it won't go brittle and fall off and it's very resistant to liquids. It also doesn't need treating with high heat paint etc...
I think that I wrapped my down pipe too tightly so, I'll buy some more and stretch it less over my manifold and elbow and see if it works better. I think I'll double wrap it too, just for extra insulation !

stugtir300

i bought some heat wrap some time ago and only put it on a few weeks back,i put it on both inlet and outlet pipe runs of the fmic,before i did this if u went for a drive say for half hour the pipe from the turbo would be to hot to the touch,but i took it to skegness at the weekend which is a good 2 hour drive from notts with the heat wrap on,after the drive there i opened the bonnet and touched the pipe from the turbo and it was only warm,so i think i will be investing in some more to fit to other parts ie exhaust etc over the winter.