exhaust temp

pulsar kid

Could someone please explain to me the reason for the need of exhaust temp gauge, ive seen them around in modded cars,but never understood there meaning of use,
thankyou benji:-D

steve963

so you can sort of check your not running lean, which makes the gas very hot

temp should be about 800 getting over 1000 is bad i believe

watoga

Hi Benji,

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the correct place to mount the temp sensor for a turbo'd car is in the exhaust manifold (ie before the turbo)? The problem is that you want the sensor to monitor heat from ALL exhaust ports, and not just the manifold header you've welded the sensor bung into. Therefore, it seems that the only logical location to place the sensor is immediately before the turbo inlet, but I have no idea if this is dangerous or completely impractical.

Anyone have suggestions for where to locate the bung?

Cheers,
Dave

steve963

usually goes where all 4 outlets meet, IIRC

but I have heard of people putting it on cyl 4 outlet as this is the one that runs leanest

Trip

I fitted mine just after the Turbo. Granted i won;t have an accurate reading but i can always lower my marginal limit.

I've have read many stories regarding the sensor tip breaking off due to high temperatures and denting a blade on the turbo

Dangerous Dave

I fitted mine just after the Turbo. Granted i won;t have an accurate reading but i can always lower my marginal limit.

I've have read many stories regarding the sensor tip breaking off due to high temperatures and denting a blade on the turbo
Its not a fooking good sensor if the tip breaks off then is it!:doh:

If i was going to put one on mine i would put where trip has!

olliecast

You want the sensor on the hottest running cylinder as close to the heat source ie in the manifold.
Someone on here told me which cylinder it is but can't remember who