Exhaust Removal :-)

Hi,

Just out of interest, ive read a few posts on hear asking if a mongoose mid section can be removed on the driveway? All these posts are over a year or so old now, soooo was wondering if anybody has managed this tricky job without lowering the rear sub frame?

I did read one post about someone jacking the front and rear drivers side of the car up about a foot and managed to remove it, but not heard anybody else having any success with this method.

When I removed my hks exhaust, i ended up cutting it off then realised I couldnt get the mongoose on, doh!!

Gaz

red reading

Ever thought of jacking the car up on one side rather than front or rear.

And mongoose are noisey horrible exhaust's imho

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I had a Nismo system and the only way I could get it out (and get the new one in) was to take it to a garage and say "can I borrow your ramp for half an hour". Once it's more than about 5 feet off the floor it's an easy job to do, but I tried every trick I could and it wasn't coming out on my drive.

geoff pine

Mines curently 25" of the floor all round ( from floor to center of the wheels ) and i still can not get it off .So i dont see how jacking one side buy 12"is going to work but i will try this tommorow :frusty:

Be handy to know if this method works, thinking about it it seems logical, but as soon as you look under the car it seems impossible!!

Determined to get it off in one piece though :)

just want the scorpion on for a non ear bleeding drive :) 3 years with the mongoose is enough now....

pulsarmoley

I removed my jasma system off the car when it was a foot in the air and i loosened the subframe so the nuts were just still on the threads, tight but it worked. Not sure what size the system is, its either 2.5" or 2.75".

P

pulsarboby

you will need to jack it so driver front and rear wheel are around 2ft 6'' off the floor, car will need to be at a 45 degree angle approximately.
make sure its well chocked up when you crawll under there.
far safer to either borrow a ramp for half hour or just take it in to quickfit or someone theyll only charge you a few quid to fit it and you wont have any aggro or possible injuries that way.

red reading

you will need to jack it so driver front and rear wheel are around 2ft 6'' off the floor, car will need to be at a 45 degree angle approximately.
make sure its well chocked up when you crawll under there.
far safer to either borrow a ramp for half hour or just take it in to quickfit or someone theyll only charge you a few quid to fit it and you wont have any aggro or possible injuries that way.

You have done it that way as well then bob;-). fookin dangerous as you say:lol::lol:.

You have done it that way as well then bob;-). fookin dangerous as you say:lol::lol:.
Yeah sounds dodgy :) think safety is the main concern here, I dont want to brake my Halfords special trolley jack :)

Is it only the goose that is a twat to remove, or are all systems the same? could do with the connection 1 meter past the cat, would be easy to feed over the sub frame from the rear then if only a short section.... stating the obvious really arn't I!!

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Just take it to a garage. safer and easier than trying it on the drive.

I got the standard section off just, but the mongoose was a no go as it's quite abit longer over the rear subframe compared to the standard one, and I didn't have the height needed to do the job.. Dropping the rear subframe makes it easier (allegedly) but it'll still be longer than going to a garage.

Pulsarmoley - Jasma is just the Japanese noise certification as far as I know.

P

pulsarboby

lol yeah but not as dangerous as what i did today:doh:
lifting a 1 1/2ton insulated and lined luton body off a rolling chassis of a vw lt35 with 2 jacks some 205ltr oil barrels and an engine hoist....probably has to go down as one of the most stupid dangerous things ive ever done:der: and it all went very wrong indeed, im lucky to still be here now lolol

take it to a garage and let them fit it for you;-)

whytie

Ive done a full system before on my drive its not that hard. Go buy a set of ramps for 20 quid bobs your uncle.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Maybe... but the arseholes then failed my MOT (probably because it wasn't a WRX - I saw them give one a really easy MOT and thought they'd do the same for me... I was wrong).

shroom

hehe its a pain aint it, I had that aswell, some chaved up mr2 with straight through exhaust and a bin on the back that sounded like a ww2 spitfire passed and mine failed on noise, takes the piss sometimes,

but as the rest say, just take it to a garage saves getting your nuckles smashed up and pissed off

geoff pine

Well I'm just of to try and gain another inch of the deck and i think that should do it quitters never win :lol::lol:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I've seen your collection of wooden blocks... if anything is going to work, I think that will. - It was having it fall off my axle stands that convinced me of the benefits of putting it on a ramp.