Exhaust noise

JasonR

Hi put my car in for its mot today and it failed big time :cry: one of the fails was the exahust was to loud i have a full mongoose system, the reason the tester put was "exahust noise is clearly in exess of that emitted by a similar car fitted with a standered silencer in average condition" does any one know if this is correct? i had no idea there was a limit on the noise level. any help would be great cheers Jason.

nathan

thats bullshit there is a limit but its not down to the tester to decide that all he can do is give you an advisory he should only need to take it up to 2500 rpm for the emissions

GTiR-Aholic

If it is excessively loud they can refuse to MOT it. I've had this with enough stations myself even though it's not their job to check for noise pollution, they like to think they're up there lol.. normally a score does it though ;)

JasonR

If it is excessively loud they can refuse to MOT it. I've had this with enough stations myself even though it's not their job to check for noise pollution, they like to think they're up there lol.. normally a score does it though ;)
Do you know what the noise limit is? cheers for the help Jason

snoon

you should have bitch slapped the guy and taken it to an MOT station not run by numpties.

Bit tight really.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Has he ever even seen a similar car?

Have you any mates with Gtirs that can go pay him a silenced visit?

ChrisS

yeah but they cant fail you for it
apparantly they can.

Bloke ive used for MOT's the last 10yrs says they're really tightening up on noisey exhausts at the mo. Said he had to give me an advisery and would prob not be able to pass it next year (full 3inch system). Get out clause is that they have to be able to compare to a standard exhaust on that or similar model of car. I said to mine you'll struggle to find one with a standard exhaust and he rekoned they could do it on similar car also so doesnt have to be the exact same.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Find a car with similar power and performance then, say a TVR, Ferrari etc and compare it to that:lol: A subaru at least as they're quite noisy.

Make sure he doesn't compare it to a vectra for example ie some 2L non turbo repmobile.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
98db's is the legal limit

Mongooses are 98db's from the factory, but over time they get louder, due to baffle coming out or being burnt off.

If it’s daft loud then get an exhaust builder to replace the centre section with a new (maybe bigger) silencer.

nathan

apparantly they can.

Bloke ive used for MOT's the last 10yrs says they're really tightening up on noisey exhausts at the mo. Said he had to give me an advisery and would prob not be able to pass it next year (full 3inch system). Get out clause is that they have to be able to compare to a standard exhaust on that or similar model of car. I said to mine you'll struggle to find one with a standard exhaust and he rekoned they could do it on similar car also so doesnt have to be the exact same.
i beg to difer but they cant thing may change in the future but not at the moment i know this because my friends and i were having this discussion the other day so we asked my dad who just so happens to be an mot tester and my m8 trying to prove him wrong rang some local mot testers and they all say the same

darkyGTI-R

I was lead to believe that there is not a legal requirement except for on the track due to noise pollution and moanie neighbour's but i may of been lead wrong!:oops::p

GTiR-Aholic

Well an officer recently stopped me and said I was being done for no silencer and noise pollution on the A2 dual carraigeway.. then a subaru shot passed much louder and I said so what about that.. and he said yep all you lot are beyond legal limits.. I said what is the legal limit? he said well this is the problem there's no set level it's just when it becomes a problem i.e. 2am on a private backstreet... which I think is absolute bollox there is a legal road limit and yes I agree I think it's 98db's

But then saying that, ferrari's with their standard exhausts can be louder then that I'm sure.

darkyGTI-R

Ferrari's are loud as fook i'm with you geezer on this one perhaps if we just take it easy first thing in mornings8)

And then give it a blast later on lol just kidding OC:twisted:

GTiR-Aholic

Well problem now is.. I've got a front exit exhaust.. and it's literally just a piece of 16" pipe in length and 4/5" inner diameter.. no box, no nothing.. running direct off my T88-34D greddy turbo I think I'm going to have SERIOUS problems ahead ..

Mr GTiR

98db's is the legal limit

Mongooses are 98db's from the factory, but over time they get louder, due to baffle coming out or being burnt off.

If it’s daft loud then get an exhaust builder to replace the centre section with a new (maybe bigger) silencer.
The reason why exhausts get louder over time is because the perferated (sp) mesh inside the exhaust/silencer gets clogged up and fills up with carbon deposit's over time meaning there is no where for the sound to be absorbed by the exhaust system.

ChrisS

i beg to difer but they cant thing may change in the future but not at the moment i know this because my friends and i were having this discussion the other day so we asked my dad who just so happens to be an mot tester and my m8 trying to prove him wrong rang some local mot testers and they all say the same
Thing with mot is its down to the tester. Excessive play, excessive noise, its all down in some degree to the testers opinion. If they dont want to pass you youve no chance.

ChrisS

Find a car with similar power and performance then, say a TVR, Ferrari etc and compare it to that:lol: A subaru at least as they're quite noisy.

Make sure he doesn't compare it to a vectra for example ie some 2L non turbo repmobile.
I rekon mine is louder than my mates tvr with decat and sports system. Pretty sure his measured about103db.