Evo Maf

boost

hi all..

would the maf off of an Evo work just as good as the Z32 variant?

can anybody clarify?

thanks

vss irvine

why?

z32 works and theres no hassles with them, theres plenty for sale.

even i brand new one is only 160. (and its not a copy)

boost

just seeing the price you can get them cheaper, thats all..

was £160 straight from nissan directly ?

thanks mate

gtir_pimp

i got mine from a guy in japan on ebay. was £130 delivered for a genuine z32 with plug and a k&n filter, so look on there.

boost

but like i asked, forget the z32. would an evo maf work would you think.

they have many more wires coming off of them but all i need is the signal wire and voltage for it..

Trondelond

In my mind, it should work. At least in theory. Depending on your ECU of course. My PFC has presets for different MAFs, and all it seems to do is alter the "voltage curve" to suit the MAF in use. You'd have to set that up manually, but if you can be bothered, I can't see why it wouldn't work. On the other hand I don't know much.

boost

trondeland..thanks mate. my ecu is standard. going to be having nistune chip done this month sometime.

i think the evo maf has more wires/sensors in it. in theory would i only need the sensor wire and also the power ones etc..?

keith

Trondelond

Hey, I'm not giving any guarantees here! :D But if nistune has the same possibiliteis (I suspect it has more) as the PFC, in theory it should work. At least in my mind. :) Best bet would probably be to check with your tuner.
If you tuner has to reinvent the wheel with the Evo MAF, I suppose you could end up paying just the same as you would with a Z32, as it would be more time on the dyno to set up.

boost

trondeland.. im going to check with Ed at Fusion as thats where im hoping to go to get it all sorted.

thanks

ashills

the evo maf works on frequency though and has a built in air temp sensor so works differently to the hot wire nissan style
i dare say with a converter box or bit of wiring alterations something could be done

Last edited:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Thanks, I was about to ask if it's even the same type of AFM. They're not all the same, and the reason the Z32 works is that Nissan are pretty consistent about using hot wire MAFs; I don't know that a Mitsubishi one would be that easy for the ECU to recognise without putting some work in... and why put the effort in when the alternatives are readily available?

they have many more wires coming off of them but all i need is the signal wire and voltage for it..
It's not as simple as that (as explained above).

Fusion Ed

Its not worth it sorry. Use a Z32. There are no scaling graphs to convery X airflow = ?Hz to volt vs airflow so it would take ages to get it working right, that alone would cost way more in time than just to use something that is perfectly suitable and pretty much designed for the job.

You have to let go of the evo world with a pulsar, I work with both but they are totally different animals!