Erratic engine running problem

G

GTI-R Kid

This is a wierd one that I don't think I've seen mentioned on here before. I would do a search, but since I have no idea what the fault is I wouldn't know where to start.:oops:

Waaaaaaaaay back in the past when we had the car on the road, it developed a strange problem that we never managed to identify the source of. There was no warning, or set conditions that caused it, so no real indication of the source. We were hoping that after rebuilding the engine, replacing heaps of bits, that we might get rid of the problem in the process, but it popped back with a vengence last week.:cry:

Ok so - the problem. Basically the other evening I came out from work and started the car. I left it idling for a few minutes to warm up, but when i went to drive off it hunts between 1000-1500 revs. It won't rev any further and just bounces up to 1500, back to 1000 and back to 1500 again. Whether the pedal is slightly pressed or floored, the car won't rev above 1500. Its also happened after a 30 mile journey. Ended up in stop start traffic, and without warning when pulling away from lights, it happened again.

The only way I've been able to stop it so far is to turn off the engine for a few minutes. Once started again its fine and I can drive off as per usual. I've not done the fault code check on it yet as the battery has been in and out a good few times over the past few days so I'm thinking it would be gone from the memory. As you can see from the above, there are no specific identifiable circumstances under which it happens. It can happen after 5 mins idling from cold, or after 40 mins of driving. There are no wierd noises, no engine check or other warning light.

Its wrecking our heads so any help would be seriously appreciated.:sad:

M

m34ts_pulsar

im not sure exactly what the problem is but the lad i bought my pulsar from mentioned about a problem exactly like that (on my pulsar) and he sorted it out, im sure it was somthing to do with the ecu.

G

GTI-R Kid

If you're still in contact with him could you ask him about it please?

Will do the ecu fault check next time it happens, but the problem with that is theres no warning as to when it'll happen. Could be hours - could be a week.:cry:

M

m34ts_pulsar

yeah ill try him tomorrow mate and post what he says a.s.a.p