engine rebuild

tony1981

i'd love to have a nice new rebuilt engine but i can't afford one at the moment, i'd also love to do it myself but i'm no mechanic and i don't have the tools or a place to do it so unless i find the winning lottery ticket its looking like "we buy any car are getting a 17year old japanese heap"

tony1981

i think i decided to change the bearings and oil pump to try and solve my oil pressure/noisey engine. can anyone point me in the right direction of what i need(which bearings etc), i'm going to do this by removing the sump cos i don't really want to remove the engine, any help would be greatly appreciated

P

pulsarboby

dont waste your money buying anything untill youve thoroughly checked the crank journals for ovality, cracks and scoring.
if any of the above are present then its an engine out job tony

tony1981

cheers bob, i'll try and make it down to the trackday next tuesday and get someone to take a quick look. its fine when its cold, it takes about five seconds for the oil pump to kick in, its when the car begins warming up that it starts sounding rough(about 15-20mins). i'm thinking of getting a new set of centre gauges and oil pressure sender so i know 100% that my gauge readings are fairly accurate. what do you suggest bob?

IrishDan

Im doing one of mine atm Toney, just in spare time etc i dont have much space either cars round the back of my house on stands and the motors in the back corner of my very junk filled garage lol, i could take plenty of pictures etc for you if you like?? its faly easy its all nuts and bolts mate lol

tony1981

i've got someone who can remove the sump and change the bearings for me but if my engine needs rebuilding its not going to happen as i don't have the money at the moment, i think i'm going to have to sell up as i need a car as i have a ten mile drive to work:sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:

IrishDan

its not an overly expensice job, dont no if there any good but the acl race bearings on ebay are fairly cheep, crank grounding is faily cheep nowadays too and would be worth throwing an oil pump in too mate fairly straight forward its just time and awaiting parts etc, id say find out 100% whats wrong before you sell up as sumone might get a bargain as i did with one of mine, had an idel issue laddo thought it was knackerd got it for pennys on route home bought some maf cleaner spray ran fine, regound it when i got home and gave it a good clean, never skiped a beat since! (touch wood)