Engine rebuild

Jenz

Hi, can someone please put me in-touch with a good tuner who can exchange or rebuild my sr20 lump! does anyone have a rough idea on a price.Thanks. :D

T

Toady

i built mune myself (but thats what i do as a job anyway lol) it cost me just about 2k in parts only. Currently running about 320bhp at 1.1 bar. Did a 12.8 @ 105mph 1/4 yesterday with wheelspin so cant be that bad eh! :wink:

for a std rebuild your looking at around 3k from a tuner!

Stevo

Does it need a rebuild?
Do you realise with a stock engine and turbo with an aftermarket ECU you can run over 330 bhp safely :wink:

tee

how much more then 330bhp can you run tho?

how much would an aftermarket ecu that is mapped for the car cost?

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
You can run 400bhp fine enough on the Stock engine...

Rob is running around that @ 1.3bar on his GT30 spec turbo...

Rishi

tee

so you don't need forged internals for that sort of power?

what about injectors and other stuff?

Dooie Pop Pop

tee said:
so you don't need forged internals for that sort of power?

what about injectors and other stuff?
yup you need bigger injectors, im using 700cc sards :D you' ll also need a z32 maf and/or a map sensor, some sort of boost control and something to look after the fueling like an emanage or power fc :wink:

T

Toady

tee - save yourself a lot of money in the long term and make me an offer on mine! :wink:

Jenz

Thanks for your replys ,dont have the cash to rebuild the lump.It still run's just changing the turbo so thourght i might have enough dosh to do more work. Now will have on the car: hybrid cost £650 ,uprated fuel pump ,fse bv ,greddy boost control ,hks full pipe ,hks induction ,front mount cooler ,oil cooler , 700 injectors ,plugs,leads etc.The car was standard 3 months ago and has not run with these parts on.What power should i expect,and what else can i do that will make it go harder?The well is nearly dry though. :?

Dooie Pop Pop

Jenz said:
0What power should i expect
0bhp cos you' ve not got anything to look after the fueling :wink: £200 buys you an emanage :wink: you can get a base map map that' ll run the car fine till you get it mapped :D if itas the easy rout your after buy toady' s R :lol:

Rishi

Without Fuel Management... You're car will die a horrible death...

Also what turbo are you running...? Your turbo will define your final possible power/torque output...

Rishi

S

Stoned

Yes and the lag. I'm assuming Vpulsar gets 386bhp on standard internals because he's running a large laggy turbo instead of a lower lag turbo and higher boost pressure?

Rishi

Stoned said:
Yes and the lag. I'm assuming Vpulsar gets 386bhp on standard internals because he's running a large laggy turbo instead of a lower lag turbo and higher boost pressure?

Completely standard engine...

He uses a variant of the GT30R... Its not that laggy to be honest...

Remember that although its a larger turbo than standard... It uses a Roller Bearing core which helps it spool a lot faster... The stanard T28 that comes standard with the GTiR just uses a 270deg bearing...

With regards to Jenz post... Replacing this 270deg washer bearing with a 360deg one will define it as a Hybrid Turbo... Hence why more detail on the turbo spec is needed to gain an idea of what is possible from your car...

Rishi

O

Odin

Stoned said:
On paper it would seem laggy :wink:, but in the real world ie on the road as long as your in the right gear I don't find it that bad.

But I would agree a less laggy turbo would be better if pos :wink: .

But the less boost you have to use to get the power must be better for the engine, As I'v prooved I think as my 60000 mile engine is still going strong with good compression and oil pressure 8) :D .

As he runs off to find something made of wood lol :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

rob

tee

this is actually a very interesting thread.

someone mentioned an emanage with a base map, would that mean a map that you set yourself? or would it have to be set up properly by someone who know what they are doing in order to acheive good results?

Rishi

tee said:
this is actually a very interesting thread.

someone mentioned an emanage with a base map, would that mean a map that you set yourself? or would it have to be set up properly by someone who know what they are doing in order to acheive good results?

Base maps are basically maps that are preset in the ECU for your car

These are VERY safe maps designed for normal running...

Basically to get you to the mapper for a propper mapping session...

Rishi

tee

oh like a "get me home" kinda thing, lol

so for a tuner to map a car would it also have to be rolling roaded to check settings?

Rishi

tee said:
oh like a "get me home" kinda thing, lol

so for a tuner to map a car would it also have to be rolling roaded to check settings?

You can map on the road or dyno...

i think mapping 95% on the dyno then tidying up on the road is best...

Rishi