Engine randomly goes off - is the immobiliser shagged?

dombat

Haven't done a fault code check yet (or anything else really, it's only just happened!)

Basically:
Everything works fine, was driving for about 15 mins then engine cuts out (no ignition) - radio still works and headlights on but indicators dont work.

free wheel into layby.

take out ignition key, put it back in and turn, no dashboard/ignition lights but the engine turns over but no starting.

get upset for a couple of minutes then it starts ok, so drive the backway home avoiding busy roads.

happened a further 4 times (every few minutes) luckily each time could drift into a safe place to stop.

The final couple of times, turning on the ignition the dash lights come on for 1/2 a second then off again, the after a few minutes fretting it starts fine and off we go and finally got home.

Does this sounds like a dodgy immobiliser (it's 7 years old, Clifford Cat 1). I think this because it has played up for a while by not "beeping" when locking and unlocking the car (it should), and very rarely making a ridiculous noise when unlocking that sounds like a sea lion. It still works fine though (like if you open the door and it's armed will set it off).

I hate things like this, at least when something "breaks" you know what it is and can replace it.

dombat

It's only been reset when i unplug the battery and as far as I know never serviced. I didn't realise they needed it until I read the warranty booklet last night. Whoops.

dombat

I'm 100% certain the sea-lion lives within my alarm's siren!

I'll get the alarm swapped out for a Toad, get the siren installed in a different location and then i'll be able to fit my front mount (currently the clifford is in the way)!

dombat

After doing a search, it seems that Toad is recommended and Clifford has issues (although maybe more people have Cliffords so there are more to break?)

To be fair, the Clifford been there 7 years and had no problems (except currently, and have not proved it's the alarm yet).

dombat

Thought I'd reply in case someone finds this thread in a few years time.

Swapped the alarm yesterday with a Toad. The car now works fine!

The fitter said they really do need annual servicing, just so they can check all the connections and earths are ok.