Engine problems!!! dont know what to do?

Z

ziggys

new on this web, my 91 Gti-r was running fine till about 2 weeks ago. It starterd with blowing a bit of "bluey" smoke, then a bit of rattle from the bottom end.

so took it in to a garage and they said engines "OUT". so dont know whether to put a used one or have the original one done up.... any advice !!! if i have the old one done what bits will i need and what sort of costs are involved....

G

GTiRich

Maybe i'm thick but if it's a bluey smoke doesnt that mean the turbo's gone as it's burning oil??? If it is the engine, get the original one done with forged internals and uprated gaskets

Z

ziggys

what sort of cost am i looking at mate for a forge "transplant"....also i think bottom ends making a rattles aswell.....

LOU ROB

ziggys said:
what sort of cost am i looking at mate for a forge "transplant"....also i think bottom ends making a rattles aswell.....
A rattly bottom end is either your mains or your big end bearings,which if your having a rebuild these should be changed anyway.
Forged piston are usually about £800 ish for a set

Z

ziggys

cheers GTiR, so me turbos fucked as well, any suggestions on turbo, any uprated mods available ??. All the car is std, is it best to put a std turbo charger or can i upgrade, ??

G

GTiRich

You can go for a bigger turbo if you go for forged internals. Then u can really up the boost if u get a front mount aswell

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Blue smoke doesn't have to be your turbo, but it can be. It could be piston rings, broken ring land, valve guides/stem seals, breather system putting oil back in to the inlet.(ultimately down to rings tho)

If it is your bottom end, then it will realy be an engine out job. They should pull your pstons too, to check if they are ok. Get all the bearings done while it's out. No point in doning some, only for the others to go 2 months down the line. :x

If you can spare the money uprate your pistons, if they aren't already done unless you're definately going to run standard boost forever.

Ps if it's a ring land gone, then get the boost level/fuelling checked as it broke for a reason, normally due to detonation caused by a lean mixture/ high boost.