engine fan not coming on

Dooie Pop Pop

iirc the fan is switched on by the ecu, is this correct? iv sourced a new sensor from mjp which despite being blue and not red he assures me is the right part.

the fan works fine when run off the battery so thats ok i was just wondering if there' s anything else i should look for that could stop ithe fan coming on?

did a little searchy and found this thread with a pic link half way down

http://bb.gtiroc.com/viewtopic.php?t=38913&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

would i be right in thinking that sensors just by the powersteering pipe under the intake on the ds side of the engine? it looks like a job for Mr Tickle :lol: :roll: :(

also the sensor comes with a copper washer, would it be a good idea to stick a little sealent on the thread?

cheers, Stu

OZ-Racing

Dooie Pop Pop said:
i was just wondering if there' s anything else i should look for that could stop ithe fan coming on?
A cold engine :? :p :lol: :lol:

No need for sealant on the thread. The copper washer will seal it nicely. Your sump plug has a copper washer for a seal.

At work we use copper washers to seal up to 600 bar, so I don't think you'll have any probs :wink:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Put your aircon on if you still have it and see if the fans come on. If the sensor is ok, then at a guess either the ecu has a problem or the wire has a break somewhere.

O

Odin

I have the same problem with mine as well mate, I just changed back to the standard fan to see if that fixes the problem, But its not got warm enough for the fan to come on yet lol. No matter how hard I've driven it :? .

Maybe I should go and sit in the Mcdonalds Que again :wink: that's what made me notice that it wasn't working in the first place.

Rob

OZ-Racing

Thunder God said:
I should go and sit in the Mcdonalds Que again :wink: that's what made me notice that it wasn't working in the first place.
Is that because it took them soooooo long to make your huge order :shock: :?: I'm surprised you didn't run out of fuel :wink: :lol:

O

Odin

OZ-'R'acing said:
Thunder God said:
I should go and sit in the Mcdonalds Que again :wink: that's what made me notice that it wasn't working in the first place.
Is that because it took them soooooo long to make your huge order :shock: :?: I'm surprised you didn't run out of fuel :wink: :lol:
Nice to see someone didn't let me down :wink: , I thought that someone would of picked that up a little quicker to be honest :roll: :lol: .

Its a good job I've got a big oil cooler otherwise it would of been a gonna :oops: .

Rob

Dooie Pop Pop

Thunder God said:
Its a good job I've got a big oil cooler otherwise it would of been a gonna :oops: .

Rob
me too :lol:

ChrisS said:
Have you checked the fuse is ok by any chance?
which fuse? the one under the bonnet by the ps wing?

Fast Guy said:
Put your aircon on if you still have it and see if the fans come on. If the sensor is ok, then at a guess either the ecu has a problem or the wire has a break somewhere.
Aircon? pmsl :lol: no it was the first thing i ripped out :roll: :(

cheers for the help, Stu

Dooie Pop Pop

should also add my tickover is too high and only settles now and again rarely. previously its been as good as gold @ 850rpm

i was under the impression that this is because the sensors playing up and sending in too much fuel thinking the engines cold still...hence no fans :(

Stu

Dooie Pop Pop

huge thanks to Shaun for the pm.

anyone even considering removing that coolant sensor should go out and buy a deep 19mm 3/8 socket, dont even bother with a 1/2 inch drive because it really will make you want to :evil: it with a hammer :lol:

M

still not fixed :evil: iv changed the sensor, swapped the fan relay with the ac one and also swapped the fuse in the ps wing...............

my fan is still not coming on! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

has anyone else had this problem? i tries an ecu check tonight but for some reaon it refused to work! :-? the ecu light stayed on and refused point blank to blink. wtf is going on? is my ecu dead?

pod in 2 weeks i have to get this fixed!

pulling my hair out, HEEEEEEEEEELP!!!

Stu

Dooie Pop Pop

should add engine seems to run fine but prevously to changing the temp sensor the tickover had got really erratic.

should i reset the ecu? i still cant get the ecu check light thing to work

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Maybe it's a wiring problem or an ecu problem. The fan is earthed by the ecu to switch them on as far as I know. Are you sure the engine is getting hot enough for them to need to come on?

Dooie Pop Pop

the water temp gauge has never gone much above 1/3 previously thats driving or static. iv waited till its nearly 2/3 up and the oils over 90 before iv switched it off as i dont want to damage it :( iv refilled the rad at least 5 or 6 times and its always come on .

should add V had exaclty the same problem but he' s running a motec ecu...confusing :lol:

Last edited: