electric to manual window winder conversion

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Has anyone done it ??

I am sick to death of these crap 15 yr old electric window switches not working and needing replacing.

Although I think in my case it might be a wiring fault away from the switch, the other day all my windows stopped working and my sunroof wouldn't open, I only went out for a quick blat and I was sweating my balls off :doh: anyway by the time I got home I tried both the sunroof and windows again I still had no windows opening but the sunroof had now decided to work.

So what I might do is rip the sunroof out and weld a panel in and replace all the electric windows with manual winders.

So back to my original question, does anyone know if the electric window motor rotates the same window mechanism as the manual winder....ie is it just a case of replacing the electric motor with manual winders (yes I know the door card will need modding or replalcing)

anyone ?

LOU ROB

I thought of doing this a couple of years ago.

I was going to buy 2 doors from a scrappy off a 1.4l sunny.
It was only a case then of changing the mirrors over as I don't think the bog standard sunnys had folding mirrors.

And worse case would be, is that you would have to change the door locks over just to get your central locking working (if the sunnys didnt come with centaral locking that is) as your loom is already there from your car.

MORF114

I know the 1.4 sunnys have electric windows, i had one as my first car for a couple of years.

I think the easiest bet would be to buy some manual mechs from a scrappy you'd only have to drill the hole for the winder in your door card and get the replacement panel where the old window switches used to be i reckon it would only cost 100 quid max and a couple of hours .
Just change to manual mirrors too, if you have electirc probs, less things to fix in the future if they decide to stop working. less weight too about a gram or so lol

youngsyp

Steve,

Stop procrastinating and get your multi meter out. :lol:

It's bound to be a lot more time, effort and money to switch to manual windows than it would be to fix the electric ones that are in there now. And you can;t deny the convenience of one touch windows at the Maccy D's drive through... :doh:

One thing I would do is spray the inside of the window channels with silicon lube too. That should make the faster at least and not put so much load on the motor and loom.

Paul

P.s. I've been meaning to look at mine for a while as, my passenger window has been slow for some time. Recently though, it's started to behave normally again !

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
ahh, the old silicon lube in the runners trick, yeah I have used that in the past and it works well.

looking at the wiring diagram in the manual, it might as well be written in some sort of secret language, I get the basics but I must admit that electronics are not my forte :?

youngsyp

stevepudney said:
ahh, the old silicon lube in the runners trick, yeah I have used that in the past and it works well.

looking at the wiring diagram in the manual, it might as well be written in some sort of secret language, I get the basics but I must admit that electronics are not my forte :?
I must admit that I have had a brief look at the manual to see if there are any earths in the area that I can check and reinforce but, from memory, there were only 2 and they seemed to be for the whole cabin loom ?!

I'll have a check and see if I can se anything obvious and post up any findings.

I reckon just dismantling the motor winder mechanism, lubing it and rebuilding it would see good results. That was my first idea anyway.

Paul

davey red.r

stevepudney said:
Has anyone done it ??

I am sick to death of these crap 15 yr old electric window switches not working and needing replacing.

Although I think in my case it might be a wiring fault away from the switch, the other day all my windows stopped working and my sunroof wouldn't open, I only went out for a quick blat and I was sweating my balls off :doh: anyway by the time I got home I tried both the sunroof and windows again I still had no windows opening but the sunroof had now decided to work.

So what I might do is rip the sunroof out and weld a panel in and replace all the electric windows with manual winders.

So back to my original question, does anyone know if the electric window motor rotates the same window mechanism as the manual winder....ie is it just a case of replacing the electric motor with manual winders (yes I know the door card will need modding or replalcing)

anyone ?
steve funny you should mention that ,i too was thinking of getting my sunroof out, and getting a panel welded in,not sure if any one has done this before,ive got a new sunroof to go in ,the thing must weigh a good20k+,so i take it the sunroof models will be a bit heavier, than a none sunroof model,:cry:

davey

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
davey red.r said:
the thing must weigh a good20k+,so i take it the sunroof models will be a bit heavier, than a none sunroof model,:cry:
davey
20 kg :shock: bonus it's definitely coming out then :lol:

gtirjoey said:
welding the sunroof! bit extreme
not extreme at all :-D

In my eyes tigging up a hole in the bodywork is a darn sight easier than auto electrical fault finding :?

youngsyp said:
I'll have a check and see if I can se anything obvious and post up any findings.
cheers paul, your a star :thumbsup: