EGT reading?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
That can vary with each engine from what I've read. The best person to answer it would be someone who mapped your engine while watching your gauge.
Someone might be able to give you a ballpark figure for what they think their engine is safe at, but don't rely on it 100% for your engine.

M

memski

Yeah, everyones will read a little different eg mines in the manifold a few inches from the engine and it usually reads no more than 800 at most.

K

krikra

mine is also in the manifold 2" from engine and reads max 900..

GINGA

Mines also in the manifold about 2" from the head and reads 850 max even when flat out in 5th

From what iv read egt temps are a bit of a waste of time. Dont REALLY tell you anything.

From what iv read.

high EGT's can mean:

too rich
too lean
not enough timing
too much timing

Low EGT's can mean:

too rich
too lean
too much timing

So that basically means its a totally mixed bag and unless your a full on tuning master guru and have datalogging of egt versus timing, rpm, boost, fueling etc etc etc. And then know what to do with that info to make more power and not blow things up....

waste of time.

GINGA

They recon you can tune by egt by the simple fact that if somethings going the wrong way to temps go up eg you have a optimum running temp which is different for every engine but basically if you increase the fuelling and the temps go up then its to rich and if you decrease the fuelling and the temps go up its to lean and visa versa and the same for the timing whether this works or not is another thing though :lol:
Must say that now with the colder weather my egt have gone down alittle so maybe mines running alittle rich :? but then again maybe the gauges is just a complete waste of time :lol:

No if you want to tune your car get a wide band o2.

EGT's are not for tuning your car unless you know how to use the info. I dont, and i dont think any of you do either (no offence).
EGT's are used more for setting up timing NOT so much fueling.
If you read my reply above you will see that.

If you tune with EGT's its your funeral.

dave

austingtir said:
No if you want to tune your car get a wide band o2.

EGT's are not for tuning your car unless you know how to use the info. I dont, and i dont think any of you do either (no offence).
EGT's are used more for setting up timing NOT so much fueling.
If you read my reply above you will see that.

If you tune with EGT's its your funeral.
thats true, egt it's basically for make alerts to you and adjust timing to the tune, that's why someone create the wideband o2 for tune the other part (air fuel ratio)

lol i tried to tune before with just EGT :doh: and then i noticed this after i blown my engine, had to replace piston rings and one piston melted.