dump pipe

nismoboy

Im now starting to design a new dump pipe to go with my new turbo. Ive made a few drawings and was thinking u could have a separate pipe for the wastegate, like a sreemer pipe for the wastgate and then a full 2.5 inch elbow which could join up with the mongoose. Would this idea of a screemer pipe off a turbo with an intergated wastegate be ok? and how far does the screemer pipe need to go under the car? and what about MOT issues?

GINGA

Screamer pipe won't work with a internally gated turbo it will have to be joined back into the system at some point.

youngsyp

For the effort involved mate, it's probably not worth the agro. Just make a 3" elbow that will take the flow from the exhaust and wastegate and connect it to a 3" downpipe.
To do it properly, you would need to put a lot of design and maths into the equation. You'll have to think about how the wastegate gas cools as it goes down it's own pipe, where to join the pipe back to the downpipe and what angle to join it back at for turbulence issues etc... Just put a separator between the wastegate outlet and exhaust outlet on the flange of the dump pipe an that should suffice :wink:

A

Anonymous

GINGA said:
Screamer pipe won't work with a internally gated turbo it will have to be joined back into the system at some point.
yes it will.

i have one being made for me at the moment.

nismoboy

youngsyp said:
For the effort involved mate, it's probably not worth the agro. Just make a 3" elbow that will take the flow from the exhaust and wastegate and connect it to a 3" downpipe.
To do it properly, you would need to put a lot of design and maths into the equation. You'll have to think about how the wastegate gas cools as it goes down it's own pipe, where to join the pipe back to the downpipe and what angle to join it back at for turbulence issues etc... Just put a separator between the wastegate outlet and exhaust outlet on the flange of the dump pipe an that should suffice :wink:
I dont really wanna change my front pipe as i already have the mong and im happy with that, I just want to match my dump pipe to the front pipe
ie( a nice flowing 2.5 inch dumpipe) so its all the same size.

youngsyp

No worries mate. A 2.5" elbow will still be a huge improvement over stock. If you get a really nice flowing bend on it, it will be even better. You should be able to do this more easily with a 2.5" elbow :wink:

GINGA

MashRock said:
GINGA said:
yes it will.

i have one being made for me at the moment.
Let me rephrase that then, unless you can totally seal off the wastegate outlet from the turbine outlet (very hard) you'll get exhaust gases perminantly exiting via the screamer pipe it'll sound crap for starters, probably won't help performance and will fail a Mot aswell.

A

Anonymous

Ahh yes. the seal can be done. but is rather tricky as it has to be as tight as a nun's cunt.. i'm in australia so mot dosnt mean much to me.

going to see how it goes soon.

i think maybe even use an external gate and go about it that way as i notices some tiny cracks when i had my turbo off last time.

i'll have to wait and see what happens

Mr GTiR

GINGA said:
Let me rephrase that then, unless you can totally seal off the wastegate outlet from the turbine outlet (very hard) you'll get exhaust gases perminantly exiting via the screamer pipe it'll sound crap for starters, probably won't help performance and will fail a Mot aswell.
bollox, i'm having one made (3" twin dump pipe) and was going to have the wastgate pipe vented to atmoshpire.

Can i ask how it would affect the MOT casue the wastegate only opens on a gear change or you back off the throttle. As far as i know it won't open when the car is sat at idel or am i worng :?: :?:

skiddusmarkus

He means that gases exiting past the exhaust turbine will find their way into the wastegate side of the pipe unless the seal is perfect Andy.