draining radiator

CanadianR

I assume this question could go here, without starting a new thread:

How do you drain and refill the coolant properly? I need to swap some stronger mixture into my car so it is good to go for storage and the Canadian winter. (-30C +- 15C).

thanks.

O

Odin

My rad has a drain plug fitted, But on the standard rad I used to just pull off the bottom hose....

If you want to flush out the engine just put the end of the hose in the top hose and flush through with clean water, When you refill with new antifreeze take into account the amount of water already in the engine when you work out the mix.

Rob

Last edited by a moderator:

Trondelond

There's a plug at the bottom right side of the radiator (when facing in the driving direction) that you unscrew with a phillps screwdriver. You'll ned to remove one cover under the car.
Figured this one out as I had to do the same ting yesterday. :)

Remember to remove the radiator lid. ;)

There is a head drain bolt just under the exhaust manifold and slightly to the left, undo that and remove top rad hose from rad. You'll know its the correct bolt because once it's out all the coolant in your head comes pissing out. Shove a hosepipe in the top rad hose and squirt loadsa water in there. Leave the hose squirting in water for a while to flush the head. This cleans out ur head and removes all unwanted water in there (once you turn hose off obviously). Once all water stops dripping from hole, re-fit the drain bolt and then re-attach your top rad hose to the rad. Then, undo the thermostat drain bolt and fill up rad with ur coolant (water coolant mix). When the coolant starts coming out the bleed hole on thermostat, refit the bolt.
That is the best way by far.... i learnt the hard way so i do know lol.
Run engine and do as it says in link above.
Job done.

Last edited:
yes, all that i said above you do with the engine off mate.
Once you refit the bleed screw on the thermostat housing (where ur bottom rad hose goes to right of engine) you fill up ur rad and header tank and just follow what m8ey says in the other link.
I actually left my rad cap off though for the first time. I ran the engine till it was up to temp and you can see the coolant bubling out the top of the rad, i then just squeezed the pipes and waited until no more air bubbles were coming out the top, then i fit the rad cap, wnet for a drive... then checked header tank after.
Been spot on ever since, my car hardly warms up at all these days with my ally rad fitted ;) lol

Last edited: