Distributor cap photo (damaged?)

V

vector74

Hi,

Posted this on another forum but results were mixed... some say it is damaged some say it is normal. Car will not start (have changed plugs etc) so took off distributor cap .. It is a genuine nissan distributor cap for a jap gtir ... 2 pins/connectors are flush flat with plastic and 2 are raised. Should those 2 be so flat against plastic like that ?

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jpward

Yes that looks ok to me fella i changed mine cos it looked a bit like that though how far into the plastic is the Head going looks as if it might be a little too deep?

What are the symptoms or what have you tried?

V

vector74

The top 2 are perfectly flat/smooth with the plastic if you rub your hand over across it. Looking at it you would think they would sit out above the plastic a bit like the other 2 and have been worn down but maybe they are meant to be that way ? Changed plugs , fuel filter, new battery, fuel pump is working.. fault code shows 55 which i think means fine just wont fire up. It sounds fine when cranking. Sometimes it almost starts (maybe 1 crank in 6) as you can see rev counter going up to say 300 revs for a few seconds then it just dies. Seems to follow format of either nearly starting in 1 out of 6 cranks or nearly every crank.. or one in 20 cranks... then the battery is too flat to start anything :)

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jpward

Your HT leads rotor cap and head i would change anyway cos you'll do no harm changing these all stock nissan stuff is fine remember 10+yr car will need a few bits but id also check the coil's ok too while your at it some have give up the ghost on guys without warning! ;-)

Dooie Pop Pop

check your getting fuel to the engine and change your fuel filter if you havn' t changed it regularly as a service item.

V

vector74

Plugs have fuel on them when removed. Changed fuel filter .. still no good.