Diff...Clutch..?

A

Anonymous

Hi everyone, great site!! i have just got my second pulsar and already having probs :cry: when it arived i noticed there was no grip at all ? on closer inspection discovered that i had incomplete front drive shafts and only rear wheel drive... i have put a couple of new ones in today and its got its 4wd traction back however when i drive off with the steering wheel turned either way on full lock the rear wheels skip :? my clutch is also mega hard and only works when u really sick it to the floor and only the bottom half works...i have tried to bleed it and its not helped my clutch fluid is also very clean. i think there is a good chance that the clutch is uprated and maybe the diffs are to ? please help :(

S

skar

try adjusting your clutch from the rod on the master cylinder to pull out the bite a bit...

it also sounds like the rear diff is locked up, few of my mates have done that on their rwd cars, good for launching, but scary around bends. Since you've gone back to 4wd i'd put the original diff back in... 8)

A

Anonymous

cheers will give the clutch a try, the car handles really well around corners even in the wet now its 4wd but when it was 2wd its just span on the spot if u tryed to launch it ? is it the standard diff which people lock up ? and can it be unlocked ?

A

Anonymous

i tried to adjust the rod at the mater cylinder but could not find it :roll: however the rod on the slave cylinder had an 8mm socket on the end of as if someone was trying to extend the rod, i have removed the 8mm socket off the end, the car still goes in gear etc but when you come out of reverse into neutral and begin to let go of the clutch the stalls ? i can also push the rod from the slave cylinder in and out with my hand :?

S

skar

The rod to adjust the master is under the dash, above the clutch pedal, long arms and small hands will help :D
dont bother trying to adjust it from the slave. Being able to push the rod on the slave is normal.

i don't understand why it would stall in neutral tho... :?:

ram5ay

uzzg said:
when i drive off with the steering wheel turned either way on full lock the rear wheels skip
uzzg said:
is it the standard diff which people lock up ? and can it be unlocked ?
You can change the way some standard slip diffs work by using different grade oil, this could cause it to act similarly. You could try changing the oil if it's bothering you.
Could be just an uprated diff you have :D , one of my mates had one in a pulsar that caused the rear wheels to skip when turning sharp at low speeds, but was ok when motorin. Had a 350z at the work with an uprated diff (cusco i think) that did the same.
I've also seen a scooby type r do this as well, skipping on tight turn, but that turned out to be a knackered/burnt out centre diff that was lockin itself up.

A

Anonymous

is there any way of telling if its uprated just by looking at it ? someone has put l & R (left & right) with a white pen on it ? if it is uprated at the rear and standard at the front can this cause damage to anything ? when it was 2wd it just wheel span like mad, would a uprated diff do that :?

ram5ay

You can tell by looking at the diff, but you would have to open up its casing to see it.
It's fine to have an uprated diff at rear and standard one at the front, shouldn't cause any probs.
The mad wheelspinning was probably just all the power being fed through only two hard jap tyres as opposed to four, dont recon an uprated diff would contribute to this any.

Once you get the clutch thing sorted I would just drive it, you should be able to tell if any of the diffs have been uprated by how it handles/grips.
If you dont like how it drives then look into it further eh. :wink:

A

Anonymous

yes was planing on just driving it for a while but i could not get an mot today because the car kept skiping on the brake test rollers so i may have to change it :(

C

Crazy

4WD cars do not go on the brake tester as it can damage your diff, cars with 4WD are tested in 2WD or by another test but I did not see the other test as I left the car with them and went to work :)

I think :?