Did all gtir's from new have catalytic converters???

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
it was new anth, that was worth a lot more than that, we get £40 as scrap for them so the guy you sold it to must have been rubbing his hands together
They're full of platinum; well, maybe "full" is an exaggeration. Good quality platinum fetches £30/g, and low-grade is £11.50/g so you can see that it doesn't take much to make them quite valuable.

I had one apart recently for analysis, so can probably find the figure in mg/cm2 somewhere.

To every one who has replied to this post thanks for all your help im just going to sort a few bits out on it then put it in for its french mot, then see what happens.

As for the qustions it is rhd and is a sunny gtir not pulsar.

thanks

sam

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
They're full of platinum; well, maybe "full" is an exaggeration. Good quality platinum fetches £30/g, and low-grade is £11.50/g so you can see that it doesn't take much to make them quite valuable.

I had one apart recently for analysis, so can probably find the figure in mg/cm2 somewhere.
Ok, the "automotive catalyst" is 76-185g of Pt and 25-85g of Pd (in a 1.9Kg block of ceramic). - The front (used) end has a lower concentration than the rear (fresh) end, and to be honest a 1.9Kg catalyst is far too big for most cars.

Diesel particulate filters are even more valuable; you get about the same amount of precious metals in 450g of material!

I appreciate very few people really care about this, but if you're ever wondering why they're expensive; this is why.

warpspeed

You don't actually need a cat to pass an mot in the uk if you car can pass the emissions test required. i know that doesn't help in this case but still worth knowing