Dead electric windows

paz

Howdo all.

I drove through a puddle today and my electric windows stopped working. The puddle was on the drivers side only.

At first the passenger window went down slightly, but not up again. The drivers window is completely dead. The door lock section of the drivers control still works, as do the electric folding mirrors.

Went to a mates, took off the passenger doorcard and used a car battery to power the window back up so I know the window itself works. Checked the fuses in the dash and they all look ok. I've taken off the driver unit tonight and stuck it on the radiator just in case it's wet but I doubt that will work somehow.

So basically, the windows are still dead. Anyone got any ideas?

vss irvine

open the door to get out.........

only yoking eggy, get some contact spray and spray all the electrics/multiplugs and switch gear.

are you getting power up to the switches?

antgtir

As Martyn suggests, check all contacts, check voltage to and from switch's etc. Its obviously related to the swimming incident so is likely to either require drying (as you are doing) or it has blown something.

I would suggest its drivers side related i.e. controls on drivers side. Motor obviously still works so no problems there.

Good luck.

Ant.

paz

Cheers chaps.

Do you know If there any fuses under the bonnet that could affect the windows?

Thanks

Paz

paz

Sorted, it was the crappy controller unit that had gone. managed to pick another up yesterday thanks to billy.

Paz

lakeview

one from any sunny or almera fits think you could probably use a primera or micra one too.could probably pick one up from a scrapyard for £5

rob

Perrin21

What does the part look like? Just spoken to Gtirus and they told me its a complete unit incl runners etc. I thought it was just a box

nimhbk

I purchased universal switches but they did not work so I went about looking inside the original unit, I was shocked to find that it had more computer chips, in it then a bloody space craft trust the japs to put stupid unit in it! Why on this earth they can't just do something simple

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
one from any sunny or almera fits think you could probably use a primera or micra one too.could probably pick one up from a scrapyard for £5

rob
Snap! Mine is from an Almera or Primera; it has controls for four windows (but obviously only the front two do anything).

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
If the problem is the switch, then yes. It seems like the problem usually is the switch, so I think it's worth trying.

P

pulsarboby

What does the part look like? Just spoken to Gtirus and they told me its a complete unit incl runners etc. I thought it was just a box
:doh: i thought you were after the window regulator unit not the driver window/door control unit

Perrin21

:doh: i thought you were after the window regulator unit not the driver window/door control unit
I wouldnt worry about it, even im not sure what i need yet lol. Im guessing window control unit is just referring to the buttons you push (ie switch). I think ive confused myself by over thinking what it is i needed.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Yes. The electronics to control the window regulators (motors) are housed in the back of the switches. - I'm pretty sure the driver's side is the master switch, so if that starts playing-up the other side won't work either.

Perrin21

Yes. The electronics to control the window regulators (motors) are housed in the back of the switches. - I'm pretty sure the driver's side is the master switch, so if that starts playing-up the other side won't work either.
Thanks Pobody, thats the reply ive been waiting for.