CV / Drive Shaft

Gray

Just got the R home on a flat bed after a day out - 163 quid and an AA membership later

Car jolted badly as i accelerated rom a roundabout and kept clicking and jolting
Been told the cv must have popped out under load
also there was fresh oil around the wheel and checked the drive shaft boot and it was split

How much do you reckon it would cost to fix it?

At first I thought it was the gear box I was about to cry

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
It may even just be a very knackered cv joint if you've run it dry for long enough.

Take it off and see if it's a bag of nails:?

Gray

think i will need a new cv joint - do i have to get them from nissan or would it be wise to get uprated ones, if so where from?

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
What he says ;-)

Nissan will charge too much and you can simply get the whole front drive shaft and swap it over. It can't be more than £30 for the driveshaft as no one normally needs them.

A

Andybtsn

This is what I'm worried about, my right coilover top mount bolt is constantly cliicking...Eeek.

antgtir

If you have run the CV joint dry as Fast Guy says you may have cooked the joint and the bearings and so when you remove it, it would probably fall to bits in your hand.

However if the CV joint itself is ok, the circlip that holds the joint in place may have snapped and its just a case of replacing that.

Changing the joint itself is an easy job, i would rather do that than start taking drive shafts out as the shaft has a seal on the engine side to stop oil escaping, if you start to fiddle with that to much and its an old seal you will probably find that the car will start to weep oil.

Imo stick with changing the CV joint itself, inspect the joint, it may just be the circlip that needs replacing;-) New CV boot and grease and you should be back up and running. While you are working there you may as well give the drive shaft a throrough inspection.

While you are doing one CV Boot i would tend to do the other side at the same time for the cost of it then you wont feel as though you are doing the same job every two seconds i.e. chasing your tail.

Goodluck,

Ant.;-)

Gray

I'm hopefully gonna look at it today, the cv boot looks intact whereas the driveshaft boot is split
The driveshaft and the cv joint have both probably ran dry knowing my luck.
I've asked Ian, at Hiteq if he has any complete driveshafts.

I'll know more once I've looked at it

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Gray said:
I'm hopefully gonna look at it today, the cv boot looks intact whereas the driveshaft boot is split
The driveshaft and the cv joint have both probably ran dry knowing my luck.
I've asked Ian, at Hiteq if he has any complete driveshafts.

I'll know more once I've looked at it
You're confusing me now. There should be a boot over each (inner and outer) cv joint. So which do you mean by driveshaft boot? The driveshaft is the solid (sometimes hollow) metal splined bar going into the cv joints, the cv joint is the wibbly wobbly thing on the ends of the driveshaft, with ball bearings and grease inside:p The boot is there to hold the grease in.

J

jpward

You ever get it fixed Gray?

PS whats the easyist way to change both drivers boots without removing the shaft if possible? :?

Gray

It wasn't actually the drive shaft causing the problem - my gear box turned into melted chocolate :lol:
It was picked up and took to Hiteq last night should be fixed for Wednesday.

marcymarc

Gray said:
It wasn't actually the drive shaft causing the problem - my gear box turned into melted chocolate :lol:
It was picked up and took to Hiteq last night should be fixed for Wednesday.

I bet your best mates with the guys at hi-teq Gray , your never away from the place :lol:

Gray

Tell me about it, everytime I go I'm dragging my wallet there
Its surprisingly light when I leave though :lol:

Good lads at hiteq, helped me out a lot cant say enough good words about em.

J

jpward

Bet he gets endless top up's of tea and all the chocy bickies he could wish for :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gray

I dont usually hang about but when i do yeah John makes a mean brew lol
He even washed me car last time, and me passenger side window was workin proper aswell lol
Hopin he'll work his magic again :lol: