Cusco topmounts, how to tighten?

steve963

How do you tighten the top bolt using the Cusco front topmounts?:doh:

With the std nut you could get a spanner on the flats at the top of the thread to stop the shaft turning in the damper.

The Cusco nut is so long, the top of the thread is inside the nut so cant get a spanner on it, it just turns round

Get knocking noise when driving, and wont be suprised when the bolt fires off through the bonnet:doh:

zenwahwong56

Hi mate,

Funny that I just had mine done, I could not for the life of me get it off either, but in the end got it of with a local air con from tyre place, just took 2 sec's, i think it was 21 - 22mm, and put it back on the same way

steve963

dosent help me, got it off ok, just cant tighten to 120-130 NM torque, as the shaft turns,, basically its just finger tight

steve963

anybody got anyother suggestions as dont have an airgun, and pretty sure the shaft would just turn then

steve963

had airguns on them today, didnt work :doh:

then tried mole grips on the shaft wrapped in rags, still couldnt grip em properly:sad:

oh well

Ordered some spax lowering springs 70mm front 40mm rear, aparantly they are progressive wound, so will let you know what there like

hopefully when I have them off to fit springs will get the top mounts tightned correctly:evil:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Does the shaft not have an allen key style hole in it? On my last car it was a mixture of allan keys and ring spanner to undo/do them up.

How about spring compressors on the springs to shorten the height abit so you can turn it down further with your fingers?

steve963

Fast Guy said:
Does the shaft not have an allen key style hole in it? On my last car it was a mixture of allan keys and ring spanner to undo/do them up.

How about spring compressors on the springs to shorten the height abit so you can turn it down further with your fingers?
No its flats on the side of the shaft but you cant get to them as the new nut is very deep, ie flats inside the 4cm deep nut vs std nut where top of shaft and flats showed through

also used spring compressors, and tightned by hand, but surley this isnt enough as they should be 125NM torque,, obviously cant measure torque as shaft spins!!

keep hearing quite rumbling noise, frightened they will come loose and wheel will come loose:doh:

steve963

no:sad:

the pillowball design means the nut has to be really long, the top of the shaft is about 10mm below the top of the nut, with the nut being about 30-40mm long

am tempted to saw a groove in the shaft and use a screwdriver to hold it still:der:

somebody must have an answer for this, as I though Cusco topmounts were pretty std

(for all the advertising ive gave the f`ers, supprised i havent got a reply from them:-D )

edit: heres a pic
http://www.gtiroc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31850&page=2&highlight=cusco+topmounts

Last edited: