Creaking clutch

E

Edd

Well with an OS giken twin plate i knew the slippery slope to clutch pedal problems would soon happen :cry: :twisted: :evil:

Hadn't noticed any kind of problem whilst driving as with the engine running you can't hear the pedal making any noise.

However engine off and it creaks loads :cry:

Started getting worse last night but it was late and i couldn't tell if the noise was coming from in the car or engine bay.
this morning it was creaking so drove round to my mates so we could have a look, he was out, but when i got home he was waiting at mine :? :shock:

Anyway got him to push the pedal up and now and now it's making no noise at all :? :roll: :evil:
there is a bit of sideways movement in the pedal, it has a clutch brakcet on it as its a 94m

I'm sure it is the start of a problem, possible thoughts are...

... clutch pedal snapping at bulkhead
clutch pedal snapping somewhere else
clutch pivot broken (my mate had this happen and had similar symptoms)
slave cylinder problem?

the master cylinder is new

i havent time to investigate now but would appreciate some advice, the clutch feels fine so hope it's not something to do with that :shock: and the slave cylinder appears to be pushing the clutch fork out fine so no issues there.

Think i might rip all the dash out to have better look and weld it up anyway :cry:

Keira

mines doing the same.

Havn't bothered my @rse either, more to the point mike broke it so he can fix it.

still havn't forgotten mike :p

P

Pulldog

Mines the same mate sometimes it creaks most of the time it dosent ive had it looked at loads of time and never found the problem seals have been changed got a clutch bracket to so what more can you do suppose one day when it does go we'll no the problem.

hmmm

if there is a spongy feel to the clutch then it could be that a rubber boot needs lubricating. The rubber boot is in the engine bay by the slave cylinder. if you lift the boot off you can see down a rounded rectangular hole and see the clutch arm and the clutch cover (shiny rounded bit on the left).. there is a bolt there and you can see the spring clip (metal wire about the thickness of a coat hanger) dab in the join there. (Courtesy of Kyepen).

This is only if the clutch feels spongy. If it is only creaking then the symptoms you have described are the like suspects.

Will be watching this with interest as my clutch pedal has began to creak aswell and like your it only happens sometimes and I have a bracket installed.

kyepan

yep, i put some copper slip on the nut inside the clutch housing through the clutch arm window like hmmm said and it solved the noise completely.. cause its a hydraulic system the sound and vibrations can be transmitted through the fluid.. so it might sound like its the pedal when infact it aint.

have a go. there is a post on here by hmm with a link to a video i took of it doing it.

check it out.

JB

MarkTurbo

My pedal creaks a bit when you push it down too :?

The later cars are fitted with the pedal support bracket aren't they? When did they start doing this? Mines a 93 K reg.

Might be ok cos the side to side movement dosent seem to excessive, but i'm still a bit worried cos i dont want it coming away from the bulkhead :(

ex-gtir

kieron said:
mines doing the same.

Havn't bothered my @rse either, more to the point mike broke it so he can fix it.

still havn't forgotten mike :p
what me dont know nowt about it :roll:

chrisniss91

NOt much help this but mine creeked badly and i was told i needed a new clutch by a garage. People on here said it was the pedal coming away from the bulhead and would need welding up. So i got 1k loan to fix it . Day before it was due in i pulled a part in the engine(moves back and forth as clutch is pressed down) where the noise came from and i have never heard a noise since. cpuldnt believe it :lol:

E

Edd

yeh the noise seems to have gone away now :roll:

ill order new slave cylinder (the part that pushes the thing out u mention chris :wink: ) andfit my braided line and new clutch fluid and see if thathelps :lol:

chrisniss91

Yeah get that lot but wouldnt worry too much mine stopped out of no where and was bad for a long time.
Cant hurt to have those new parts on anyhow :)

J

jasegould

pedal coming away from the bulhead and would need welding up. So i got 1k loan to fix it
:shock: :shock: How much!!, Ill do ten for that!

geetee

The later cars are fitted with the pedal support bracket aren't they? When did they start doing this? Mines a 93 K reg.
Cos the the clutch pedal box is a standard Sunny one and Datsun in their infinite (cheap) wisdom determined it would be fine with the heavier clutch of the R.

Funnily enough afer the hundreds of warranty claims for broken clutch pedal boxes - they put in a bracket to stop the box moving about and cracking.

Oh the joys of precision Nissan engineering... I'm off to buy a Toyota. It will be the car in front.... it may be slower but it won't break down. :lol:

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

S

Stoned

Not sure how true that is. Like someone said above i've got a L (94) and it didnt have that bracket.

I bought one from Steve and mine was much better ever since.