Crank Pressure/Oil Mixing/Smoke - Any ideas?

Smo

I went round Andy's today and took the head off his car to investigate the blue and white smoke issue - the headgasket seems fine. It hasn't failed anywhere yet there were some small amounts of mayo to be found.

The pistons look good and so do the bores - but pressure has built up somewhere and cracked the thermostat housing. Also the crank case pressurised and spat out the oil seals.

Anyone got an idea on the above two issues?

Andy said the car smoked heavily (slightly blue/white) when running and worse when revved.

streetcredgtir

Smoke was mostly all white mate like thick white too hardly saw much blue but there was oil everywhere when i was working to get the head off

stumo

Crankcase pressure is usually knackered rings, that could push the seals out esp if the breather is blocked in any way.

As for the thermostat housing, the only way enough pressure could be made to do that would be for the head gasket to have failed and combustion gasses were going into the water cavity. With a normal gasket it would be easy to see where this had occured but is more difficuly with a steel multi-layer.

There would also be water everywhere as i would have expected a hose to blow beforwe the housing got damaged.

Are you sure pressure did it?

streetcredgtir

I was thinking rings also i had a feeling that might be the case

As for the thermostat housing it may have bene done up to tight and cracked is a possibilty but im unsure as i didnt fit it lol

Im unsure how i got so much browny coloured oil everywhere though ?

red reading

front crank seal leaking? then the pulley will chuck oil everywhere (you might have had leak's from lots of places rather than just one),and you might have a crack in the head rather than a blown head gasket.

streetcredgtir

When i say everywhere i mean like in the new turbo i have intercooler , inlet manfold, exahust , just everything i took off which worrys me a little

P

pulsarboby

just spoke to sam.
ideally what you should have done is compression check her before pulling it apart. once with all plugs in and again with all plugs removed, this would have shown a possible blow by cylinder to cylinder which could indicate a warped block face or head or as danny suggested a possible crack to either.

all you can do now is get a steel rule and place diagonally across head to measure for any distortion in either head or block face.
its not the end of the world though. i would check out the prob (take some photos of head and block face and paste up on here so we can see) leave the car till after the festivities and go get pi55ed and enjoy yourself, then come back to it again all bright eyed and bushy tailed as they say!

also whilst the lumps out get rid of all that crap sillycone stuff you have used as thats another recipe for disaster

stumo

aye, could be a crack in the head and the pulley would spray oil everywhere....

a comp check won't always show up a crack in the head....

red reading

piston ring's are probabley shot (do a leak down/comp test to be sure) as well then,rebuild the engine if the crank,rod's and oil pressure is good it won't cost alot to rebuild it. at least it would be reliable then

streetcredgtir

Right ok been doing more reading and the smoke comes out like a steam train but obviously white as you all know so what Bob said could be correct, only other things what concerns me is im a little worried about my newly purchased recond turbo to find oil in intercooler pipes and all in downpipe and eblow , is this my seals in the turbo?

Or possibly where the oil has got everywhere from pressure ?

Personally i think the turbo seals may have been shot also