Coilover Kit

Braveheart

As I am a bit limited with settings on the GAB struts for a track car I think I should replace them with a good set of coilovers.

I have looked at a number of kits but can't make a choice. Don't want to spend more than £700.

I have a spring rate of 8.0 / 6.5 and would like hight adjustment that does not effect damper travel. Anybody have experience with BC coilovers as they had a group buy across the pond in Canada but poor customer support and lack of feedback on performance after GB has left me wondering.

Advice please....

Pulled this info off another site:

FRONT / REAR (KG/MM)
2.2 / 1.8 = nissan originals (54010-62Y05 front right, 54010-62Y04 front left, 55020-69C00 rear)
2.5 / 1.8 = whiteline (83109A / 83110) (progressive rate)
2.8 / 2.4 = nismo (soft) [discontinued]
2.9 / 2.6 = whiteline (progressive rate) [discontinued]
3.0 / 2.6 = espelir active gt (super down) [japan]
3.25/ 3.0 = rsr (ti2000) [japan]
3.75/ 2.7 = pedders (7025 / 2091) (~35mm low)
4.0 / 2.4 = king springs (kdfl-14 / kdrl-50) (progressive rate) (~25mm low)
4.0 / 3.0 = tein (oz fulcrum versions: qsn00-ezss4, japanese versions: gsn00-b1ss4) (coilovers)
4.0 / 3.1 = nismo (medium1) [discontinued]
4.2 / 3.3 = nismo (medium2) [discontinued]
6.0 / 4.0 = bc racing (d-06-va-gtir or d-06x-ra) (coilovers)

6.0 / 5.0 = nismo (hard) [discontinued]
7.1 / 5.1 = d2 (coilovers) [no longer supported in oz]
7.5 / 5.1 = g4 (coilovers) [discontinued]
7.1 / 6.2 = jic (coilovers) [japan]
8.0 / 4.0 = neotech (coilovers) [korean - via nz]

red reading

I have bc 6/5 and i am still trying to get it set up right (nothing to do with the damper's just not enough time!) i find them far better as a very fast road damper than the teins (super street with edfc controller) i had before.with the damping on minimum they are complient for the road casual driving (i drove the car to nurburgring and back like this) but when you start to firm the dampers up they do make a differance. i did find though that the best handling car i had had the complete whiteline kit fitted which made for a very neutral handling car (that had uprated spax springs fitted as opposed to the whitline ones)

Edit. forgot to say i found the tein over damped and under sprung and that over a lot of bump's would ratchet themselves down to the bumpstops and make the car do some very naughty things,you could only set the spring preload and ride height of the spring platform too which didnt help.

Last edited:

Braveheart

I found the tein over damped and under sprung and that over a lot of bump's would ratchet themselves down to the bumpstops and make the car do some very naughty things,you could only set the spring preload and ride height of the spring platform too which didnt help.
Thanks for the feedback!
Ouch.... do not like the sound of that (quoted)
Think I may have to forget comfort given the high rated spring choice that I'm looking at.
Keep me posted on how you get on setting up the BC's. I may not have the correct front rear split with 8/6.5 but believe BC can suppy a wide range of ratings.
Out of interest, do you know what the model code was for your BC's.... and do they support the following:
Cheers!
Scott.

The BR Series features:
Pillowball upper mount
Camber adjustable top mounts
Aluminium top plates
30 way adjustable damping
Adjustable spring platform
Height adjustment via bottom mount to retain full damper travel
Bearing mounted upper front spring platform
Dust boot to protect damper seals
* some features are dependent on model

red reading

Thanks for the feedback!
Ouch.... do not like the sound of that (quoted)
Think I may have to forget comfort given the high rated spring choice that I'm looking at.
Keep me posted on how you get on setting up the BC's. I may not have the correct front rear split with 8/6.5 but believe BC can suppy a wide range of ratings.
Out of interest, do you know what the model code was for your BC's.... and do they support the following:
Cheers!
Scott.

The BR Series features:
Pillowball upper mount
Camber adjustable top mounts
Aluminium top plates
30 way adjustable damping
Adjustable spring platform
Height adjustment via bottom mount to retain full damper travel
Bearing mounted upper front spring platform
Dust boot to protect damper seals
* some features are dependent on model

scott my bc came with all that above,i would have to find the paperwork for the model code (i moved house after i bought them so god knows where it is!).

red reading

try apex performance (the 200sx people) as they are the bc importers think i paid £5-550 for mine and i was not part of the group buy.

Empty Pockets

I have a friend who bought brand new bc's for his evo 6 and the top mounts were knocking within a few k miles, bearing collapsing in the top mounts ?
Meant to be a nice ride but judging from the numerous threads about them i'd assume they have longevity problems.

P

pulsarboby

ive got a set of apex coilovers in scott which are in good nick but one has a slight weep on it, il do the whole set delivered for £300 if thats of any use to you
they have adjustable topmounts on the front aswell

MarkTurbo

I remember reading quite a few threads on the mlr about problems with bc's. I thought they were just the next cheap coilover brand following on from D2 etc.

Braveheart

ive got a set of apex coilovers in scott which are in good nick but one has a slight weep on it, il do the whole set delivered for £300 if thats of any use to you
they have adjustable topmounts on the front aswell
Slight weep.... hmmm, I know beggers can't be choosers but that does consern me a little if the damper is loosing oil.
Any idea what the spring rates are and do they have a model number.
Thanks!

Braveheart

I remember reading quite a few threads on the mlr about problems with bc's. I thought they were just the next cheap coilover brand following on from D2 etc.
I have a friend who bought brand new bc's for his evo 6 and the top mounts were knocking within a few k miles, bearing collapsing in the top mounts ?
Meant to be a nice ride but judging from the numerous threads about them i'd assume they have longevity problems.
Thanks for the feedback guys...... Not sounding too good for the BC's unless they have addressed some of the issues since.

red reading

no issues with mine,i found when i was sent the weak rear strut to hub mounts (the arb bracket was poor) they sent new ones out next day,also there as cheap as chips for parts compared to tein, most people forget that with coilovers you have to leave the damping wound off and bed them in before you give them abuse too otherwise you blow the seals (same as people dont set them up properley and bottom them out and blow the seals too. i will admit my car is not a every day car too and i have only put about 4000miles on the bc's

I quite like my G4's they're probably too hard for most people for road use though (I'm just a senseless fool!)

I'm quite intrigued by hotbits suspension as they do an inverted strut with remote resevoir and helper spring set up for reasonable money including pillow mounts. There's also the option of 'race', 'rally' or 'drift' spec. Quality wise they're made in Malaysia and are TUV approved (for what its worth).

Braveheart

I quite like my G4's they're probably too hard for most people for road use though (I'm just a senseless fool!)

I'm quite intrigued by hotbits suspension as they do an inverted strut with remote resevoir and helper spring set up for reasonable money including pillow mounts. There's also the option of 'race', 'rally' or 'drift' spec. Quality wise they're made in Malaysia and are TUV approved (for what its worth).
They've been around a while, used a lot on evo's, and a lot better than anything mentioned here so far.

http://www.hotbits.org/index.aspx
Cheers... I'm having a good look through there website now. I can see Nissan Pulsar listed on a PDF document but it's not listed via their dropdown windows. I'll get in touch with one of there distributers and let you know what the outcome is.

vss irvine

what about avo or gaz? they can custom make you a set of coilovers for less than a grand, and that way you'll get exactly what you want?

i wouldnt touch leda, their service and support is fucking pish!!

Braveheart

what about avo or gaz? they can custom make you a set of coilovers for less than a grand, and that way you'll get exactly what you want?

i wouldnt touch leda, their service and support is fucking pish!!
I'm getting dizzy now.... read numerous threads on many different forums and looked at loads of different suspension makes.
It's the same old story, you get what you pay for! Reading between the lines, D2, G4, BC and many other coilover kits of a similar price all seem to have pitfalls of one sort or another and more often than not, the springs do not match the car or damper. I have come across a number of posts that sugest building your own by using one or two different suppliers. I can see this is going to take much more research....