Clutch Slipping

P

Pulsar666

I recently bought a clutch from Norris Designs, got it fitted last week, took ages on my drive!! I took it easy for the first couple of days, and now i have just started bootin it its slipping!! 2nd and 3rd gear at about 3000rpm it slips, has any one got any ideas? im running standard boost and its the standard clutch from Norris???
Thanks.

Curtis

Did you have the flywheel skimmed before you fitted the new clutch?
It may be that if you didn't???

P

Pulsar666

No i didnt mate, it had a paddle clutch in it before, when i took it out the clutch was finished. did have a quick look at the flywheel looked ok. What do u think? maybe warped?

J

J-GTi-R

Almost certainly. It's a very good idea to have the flywheel skimmed when you're doing the clutch as, especially as you've had a paddle messing with it, the new clutch plate is probably only making contact with the flywheel in a few places.

P

Pulsar666

Cheers for the advice people, im gonna take the engine out this time! took me 3 days to do the clutch on me drive the other week. do u think the clutch will be ok? :cry:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
It might just need a couple of days to settle down. I did a clutch on a previous car and it slipped for the first couple of days, then lasted until I got rid of the car.

ex-gtir

Rav said:
martin take the car to play mini they should be able to sort it out
do play mini do there own work now as they never used to

i always skim the flywheel if it had a paddle itll be fecked i have had ex paddle flywheel with a 0.8mm lip on it it would never grip again
mike

B

Brett G

TOO MUCH FLUID!!! NOT BLED PROPERLY???
Thats what it was with mine when I changed my slave cylinder :wink: :lol: :lol:
Is the biting point really high?

P

Pulsar666

Just got in from driving it, sometimes it slips sometimes it grips, i replaced the slave cylinder when i done the clutch, sometimes it bites nice and low and sometimes seems to bite a bit high??? :cry:

B

Brett G

I'm no expert but its just a simple idea rather than going in deeper than what you really need to!
I would personally investigate the hydraulic side of things first as all mine needed was to be partially drained and then bled and then it was as good as gold.... UNTIL MY ENGINE WENT BANG!!! :shock: :roll: :lol: :lol:
Mind you Mike seems to know alot more about the damage/lip a paddle clutch can cause :?: :?:

P

Pulsar666

Just a post to say thanks 4 everyones advice, im gonna try bleed the system, if that doent work then the engines comming out!! ne1 no where i can get a workshop manual from?? 8)

B

Brett G

A few people do the manuals in the cd rom format on here: stevepudney is one and Mr GTiR, they are the two that did them a little while back!
Hope thats helpful mate :wink: