Clutch slave cylinder

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I know this has been covered before, and I've had a look through the threads... and not got any good leads.

I think mine is shot (mainly because it's filled the boot with fluid which is now dripping down my bellhousing... that and the lack of action on the clutch pedal), and so I'm looking to repair or replace.
I've seen one on eBay for £45, but that seems quite costly - I can't find anywhere else that sells 'em though...

Failing that, where could I get a rebuild kit from? Probably much more cost effective to pull it apart and put new seals in it.

I really want to get this sorted before the weekend so that it doesn't stop me going to Modified Live!

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I'm getting worried now; someone has suggested that the clutch cover has gone because the fork isn't returning the piston into the cylinder... I just can't believe that an uprated clutch would have let got this soon; it can't be more than a couple of years old and there was no noise of something breaking.
I might give you a call tomorrow Geoff, but I'll talk to the wife first to see what she thinks (and to see how much money she'll let me spend). - She did say that if it needs a new clutch she'd help me fit it; now that's dedication for you!

P

pulsarboby

its not the pressure plate or clutch cover as there calling it.
this will not push the rod back into the slave cylinder (it shouldnt anyway)
the pressure plate merely returns the clutch release bearing just out of contact with the pressure plate itself.
so whoever told you that is talking out there ass lol.

your problem is nothing other than a leaky slave cylinder or possibly the flexi pipe going to it, which is a simple 15 minute job to do

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Boby, you've just made me a very happy man! - I was also starting to worry that I'd driven with excess friction and damaged the flywheel or pressure plate... but I was honestly driving as carefully as I could to the nearest parts store to buy the brake fluid. I'm reasonably sure that's just the feeling of it slipping because the cylinder isn't returning properly.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Nissan About £9 if that's a struggle time wise yes i do have one you can have :lol:
My wife suggests that it's better to just replace the cylinder (an rebuild it later if I want to) because there's no way of knowing what corrosion is inside it. Plus if I buy one right now, it'll be here before the weekend.
Who am I to argue with her? :roll: I'll just buy the one on eBay and stop complaining; with luck it'll be here tomorrow or Friday anyway.

Last edited:
P

pulsarboby

lol, yes your better off buying a new one rather than the repair kit (unless your planning on flogging it) if the cylinder or bore is marked it may still leak with the new rubbers after a week or so, not worth boogering around with for the sake of a few quid.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Between the two of you, you seem to have every angle covered!
That was the wife's argument - if it's a 20-year old cylinder, how do I know it's not knackered inside (and has been rebuilt before... maybe when the new clutch and flywheel went in).
For peace of mind, I'll just fit a new one.

gtir350

Except now it's started to make an awful noise when I try to move off in first (once I'm moving it doesn't really do it... 2nd, 3rd, 4th... then back down without any problems). - I can feel vibrations through the pedal and it sounds like the clutch is grating... maybe not quite engaging and that's the feeling of the friction plate on the paddles slipping against the flywheel?
Does the fork / slave piston move in ok when you press the clutch, then slow to return ? , as thats what i understud from your other post ?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Yeah that's pretty much it. It moves in, but is slow to return (and lets fluid out as it does).
I don't think the clutch plate has gone because it seems to hold fine once the car is rolling... and if you're slow and gentle it grips without making any noises or virbrations. I think that's the feeling of it slipping when I try to put the power on before the cylinder has returned.

New slave is on it's way, and you can bet that I'll come back here crying if that doesn't fix it. However, I'm feeling confident!