Clutch problems...

Curtis

Driving along the clutch pedal sunk to the floor and didn't return. I could hear a rattling noise coming from the engine.
Upon first inspection it looked like just the slave cylinder had gone though the clutch arm was rattling around...
I replaced the slave cylinder which was knackered, but I think now as a result of a different problem!
Tried to bleed the system, but the clutch arm was still rattling around and the pedal still wasn't returning properly.
I removed the rubber surround from the clutch arm and the pivot looks OK, but the arm is definitely moving more than it should.

Does anyone know where I can get an exploded view of the clutch or have an idea what else it might be?

I'm thinking of dropping the engine myself, but if I decide not to do it alone Mike (Ex-gtir) are you still doing mobile jobs and is Basingstoke too far? :wink:

Dan_GTiR

I just had the same thing happen to me. Pedal sank to floor, didn't return to top, and getting a squealling/rattling noise when I start the car.

Had to get the AA :oops: to come and rescue me. The guy said it sounds like the thrust bearing had collapsed.

Thanks

Dan.

M

momogtir

what the hell is up with all the thrust bearings of our cars breaking??!! apparently getting my car back tomorrow night, costing NZ$1645!!! which is like 500 pounds-ish.... :shock:

skiddusmarkus

I haven't heard of any particular thrust bearing on our cars.Mike and Olly are best to ask about them really as they've probably changed 50 clutches between them.
Most people would change the bearing evertime box is out anyway-I'd hope they would anyway.