Clutch biting point moves around

Trondelond

Odd title, but hey. I've got a problem lately with the clutch; when I start the car in the morning, I can barely get the clutch to disengage, but after having driven it for a while, the clutch starts to bite where it's supposed to.
I'm at a loss here, and definately open to suggestions.

Trondelond

I've been wondering if there might be air or water in there, so I'll probably bleed it tonight. But I can't figure out where the temperature comes into play. For that matter it might not be the temperature, but at least it gets better after it has been driven a few miles.

Thanks.

Trondelond

Bled it twice, the biting point at cold got a little worse actually. I'll look into this when I take the car off the road I suppose.

Trondelond

Ok, it's been sitting there for a while, and when I was going to move it, the clutch had dropped to the floor, and there was some sort of white residue in the clutch fluid container.. anyone have suggestions? I'm guessing a leak, but I don't get where the white stuff comes from.

RO_SUNNY

Tronde

You should bleed out all the clutch fluid and replace with a new because it seems that old one is not good anymore.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I'd guess the white stuff is an oxide; obviously red tends to be iron (rust), and white is often aluminium... but it could be one of the alkali metals too (like magnesium).
This theory falls down if it's actually in/on the plastic part (unless the fluid has evaporated to leave it).

Trondelond

Ooo, that's technical. :D I'm going to change the fluid today, and check for leaks. There has to be a serious one somewhere. Just wondered why that residue has magically appeared... :)
I suspect it's the master cylinder again, this clutch is way too much for the car. I'm going for something lighter next time, and hopefully it won't slip.

Trondelond

No leaks, and I've changed all the fluid and bled the system. Also adjusted the biting point, the pedal is still too low. Something's got to be bent somewhere. Oh well, one more thing for the list when I start working on her again.

red reading

Do you have a O.S giken clutch?

And the white residue is due to the brake fluid leaking away and leaving moisture and aluminium particals behind which has then turned to aluminium oxide corrosion from the master cylinder, seen it before.

Trondelond

Nope, I have some ACT six puck thing at the moment.

That's really odd, it doesn't seem to be leaking at all, I shall scrutinize further as soon as I've installed the supercharger and coilovers on my Honda, leaving room for the R! :)

Trondelond

If you look at my project thread, it's already out :) Will get it welded and reinforced again, and I'm switching to a lighter clutch, damnit.