Clunk when going over humps and when turning steering

hmmm

Hi guys

I get this clunk noise coming from the front when i go over speed humps. It's there 90% of the time and very rarely I dont hear it. I may be wrong here but it seems to be worse when it is raining !

I also get a clunk noise when i turn the steering ( this happnes only when the car is standing still ). The clunk whilst turning the steering only happens ocassionaly.

any ideas on this ...your help is greatly appreciated

Kind regards

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
It could be the track rod end, try jacking the front end up and having a play with the wheel/suspension components. Whatever is worn might stand out like a sore thumbs :wink:

hmmm

The Track Rod Ends were changed around 3 months agp sp it can't be that unless they were fitted incorrectly by the garage :? the MOT is coming up to its end soon anyway so will find out then and let you all know

Thanks

A

AZ STE

My brake pads move in their calipers and clunk over humps and when on full lock you have put retaing springs on the pads on fitting?

hmmm

The Brake pads just slotted right. You can feel the clunk through the steering when you turn it.

hmmm

i'll check to see if the brake pads move in their callipers. Could it be something silly like the shocks being lose. Maybe need tightning from the engine bay?

K

KrissJ

What sort of clunk is it (if there are different sorts of clunks :? ). What I mean is, does it sound a little bit like a rattle as well cos I haw the same problem and it turned out that my dampers were jiggered.

Check round the spring seat on the damper. If theres oil there then it'll mean your damper may be going. If there's oil underneath and running down the damper then it definately means its on the way out.

hmmm

no rattle in the clunk. It just clunks once when i turn the steering. It doesn't happen all the time, only rarely.

J

John Mc

Could it be a wheel bearing?

Does it only happen when you turn one way or both?

Regards

John

S

SunnyGTIR

I had this when my suspension top mounts went.
Could also be your anti-roll bar bushes.

Pete Watson

Mine did the same, after checking a few things found the Roll Bar End Links were worn pretty bad, changed these and now all seems ok.

Cheers Pete