O

Odin

Has anybody ever had them done because I'v just found a crack in
the drivers side one when I took the anti-roll bar off :cry: :cry: ,
How hard are they to do :?:, It looks to me that all you would have
to do is drill the spot welds out and bobs your uncle and them wack
a new one on :?: .

And I found a little bent bit of sill when I took the side skirt off, Looks
like a job for the slide hammer to me :wink: .

rob

A

antilag

just a quick question mate

was the damaged chassis rail directly under your fat arse cos if it was why bother replacing it it will crack within weeks :wink:

O

Odin

antilag said:
just a quick question mate

was the damaged chassis rail directly under your fat a**e cos if it was why bother replacing it it will crack within weeks :wink:

Yeah as it happens it is :cry: But the passenger side more bent :cry:
my side just has a little crack just below the bottom bolt hole of the
ant-roll bar, It looks to me as if it's caused by rust damage :cry: .

It looks as if some tyre fitter n0b has had the jack on the chassis both
sides at some point :evil: :evil: (WA*KER).

And for the life of me I have no idear how you would bend the sill in
that area, It looks as though maybe they have driven of a high curb
and cought the sill on the way down. :evil: :cry: .

Now f*ck off 5hit for brains :roll:

rob

A

antilag

$hit brains ayyyyyyyyye im back on the road next month :shock: were will u b probably laying on ya back undersealing :lol: :lol: :lol:

check if u have chassis damage further back two as alot of non runners have been bought into the country or with flat batterys ect and they dnt mess about just pick it up with the forklift :shock:
my first one and me mates current one has forklift damage

J

jasegould

It looks to me that all you would have
to do is drill the spot welds out and bobs your uncle and them wack
a new one on .
Are you talking about replacing the chassis leg as its not as easy as that, you should be able to get the crack repaired no problem, either have it welded up or get it repaired with plate which will be better than having a leg fitted coz youll disturb the factory sealer/corrosion protection which could lead to problems in the future.

O

Odin

Cheers mate but I'm not worried about the underseal as thats what I have been doing anyway stripping bact to metal then rust treating/painting and the waxoiling as I go along the hole underside of the
car from rear to front :wink: :cry: .

I'm just trying to get my car flawless I might get the new rails seem welded as well that should git it a bit more stiffness 8) .

rob

A

Anonymous

I spent 4 years learning how to do repairs like that. Trust me, its not that easy. Should be able to just weld it up. Do that first. Taking welded on panels especially structural should be left to the pros.

C

charlie

This came up a year or so ago..... but i think it's since been archived.

I think some people said they needed to take the entire dash/carpet out to do it properly. Others used a co2 fire extinguisher to keep it cool.

You can buy the 2 legs you are talking about , w@nker tyre fitters.... they done the same to mine :evil:

J

jasegould

Cheers mate but I'm not worried about the underseal as thats what I have been doing anyway stripping bact to metal then rust treating/painting and the waxoiling as I go along the hole underside of the
car from rear to front .
Its not the underseal thats the prob, its actually between the joints where ive seen problems, even if you use zinc primer the welds burn it off and you get damp between the joints and its corrodes, and as bd581 says its not easy to replace the leg, youll need a jig for a start to line it up :shock:

O

Odin

I just don't like the thought of plateing it as I never intend to sell the car
so I,d like to get it done proberly, I think maybe the best caurse of action
would be to book it in to a classic car rebuilders when I get it back on the
road and have them do a proper job.

I can't see me getting much change from a grand though :cry: :cry:, But
I wouldn't hesitate to spend that sort of money on a turbo so I can't complain can I :roll: , I just have to have my car flawless in everyway no
matter what the cost :wink: .

rob

J

jasegould

I didnt mean by plating it just weld a plate over it, if you repair the crack and then use plate to strenghten it afterwards.....youd prob be looking at 2 - 300 quid for an excellent A1 job :?:

O

Odin

Jasegould said:
I didnt mean by plating it just weld a plate over it, if you repair the crack and then use plate to strenghten it afterwards.....youd prob be looking at 2 - 300 quid for an excellent A1 job :?:
Thats proberly a good idear mate thanks :wink:, I think the way ahead
is to do it your way at first :) , But I'll buy the new rails while we can still
get them and have it done proberly at a later date funds permitting :D .

All I need now is a good welder that is mobil, Oh and 2 or 3 hundred quid.

rob