Chassis Rails (lots of pics!)

Hi,

Finally got round to replacing one of the rails today, amongst many other jobs...

First step drill out spot welds:

Weirdly the inside of the rail was fine, could of just patched the outside, oh well at least it'll be done properly!

Not too much corrosion , was expecting worse..

Clean up and treat area:

Spray with weld thru primer cover areas of weld thru ready for top coat:

Bish bash bosh and fit ;-)

Just needs welding on, paint still tacky, job for a weeknight..

I replaced a bit of the floor pan and part of rear rail yesterday, had to fabricate the rail like everything else but definitely stronger than before:

Chop floor out:

Weld new bits in, I kept the new pieces the same as what I chopped out for strength really, one piece welded across would have been easier and probably long term better for keeping rust at bay..

New rear rail:

Its getting there slowly, should be epoxying the whole of the underside in november, then start on the body work.

Gaz

keastygtir

Nice work there mate! I will keeping a close eye on this.

I went with rust bullet, what epoxy stuff are you using?

Nice work there mate! I will keeping a close eye on this.

I went with rust bullet, what epoxy stuff are you using?
Cheers! Im using FE-123 from www.rust.co.uk to treat rust or hydrochloric acid on bad bits such as the jacking points when I cut them off the sills and the rear subframe mounting bell things. Just gotta be careful with it, bad stuff if left unchecked!

Epoxy is also from rust.co.uk called Epoxy Mastic 121, read so much on different stuff and it came down to 121 and por 15. Applying Por 15 seamed a lot harder than 121, so went with 121.. Plus 121 can be overpainted, and I am tempted to spray the underside..

Most of floor pan I stripped back to bare metal with some poly strip discs so not to damage the metal just remove paint, then cavered with fe-123 to stop flash rusting and could see the areas I needed to replace/patch etc. Before applying epoxy will clean back to bare metal to get the best adhesion.

Inside sills and rails i've applied Bilt Hamber S50 to protect from corrosion, and I found after applying and leaving for a day to cure, when grinding the spot welds down on the sills, the heat drew the S50 up into the seam! bonus, even though I had weld thru primer on the seams even better to get S50 in as well, so I'll be doing the same with the rails!

Be interesting to see the results of Rust Bullet and 121 when the projects are finished, although I think your be done sooner than me :)

Gaz

robins

jotamastic 87 worth a look at.
some pictures from mig welding site looks to go on very well and good reviews.
http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/epoxy-primer-pictures-on-the-bmw.32440/

jotamastic 87 worth a look at.
some pictures from mig welding site looks to go on very well and good reviews.
http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/epoxy-primer-pictures-on-the-bmw.32440/
Im sure I read on Mig Welding forum the other week that the stuff rust.co.uk sell is pretty much jotamastic 87.. Im on that forum quite a bit so must of read it there.. Looks good though cant wait to get to that stage, and start rebuilding, woohoo!

Gaz

vpulsar

Fantastic work buddy, It's remarkable just how many people are doing proper jobs restoring their pulsars these days, Well done to one and all chaps.

Rob

keastygtir

I think its great too. Love to see people doing these kind of projects. It does go to show that anyone can have a go. I am by no means an expert and I have had help from mates all the way

I just hope the rust proofing stuff is as good as it says it is!

I still have the uk sunny shell if you need any metal hacked off.

I doesn't look like you need it but I will be happy to offer any advice etc if you need it

I think its great too. Love to see people doing these kind of projects. It does go to show that anyone can have a go. I am by no means an expert and I have had help from mates all the way

I just hope the rust proofing stuff is as good as it says it is!

I still have the uk sunny shell if you need any metal hacked off.

I doesn't look like you need it but I will be happy to offer any advice etc if you need it
Dont think I need anything now matey, cheers though!

Fantastic work buddy, It's remarkable just how many people are doing proper jobs restoring their pulsars these days, Well done to one and all chaps.

Rob
I very nearly sold her last year in favour of building a kit car, but the day before the sale I realised I couldn't go through with it so here we are :) Hopefully all this work will keep the rust at bay for another few years.

Gaz

Richard_Sideways

If only I had the time/space/tools/skills i'd do the same to mine - Instead I just grab all the overtime in a grey office and hand the money and the car over to someone who knows what they're doing... Fingers crossed - mine is coming back from the shop this week with new inner and outer arches, bit of floorpan, paint, and rust treated,cav waxed and sealed to within an inch of its life. Probably going to be about 50lbs heavier with all that new metal and gunk.