Changed Injectors - Now wont start and looks flooded!

Big Daz

Hello All,
Bit of background 1st - Bought the car back in Nov, All running perfectly but used to have 750cc injectors fitted and mapped as such, these were sold to anon and the R came to me with 560's fitted. Car has only been running static since then, till the track season starts.
Ok, Now the problem - I have just fitted another set of Sard 750cc's but now the car wont fire!! turns over and sounds like it might catch at the very 1st turn, but then just wont fire up.
I reused the bottom O rings off the 560s - not a perfect tight fit, but no signs of leaks. On removal of the plugs, they are soaking wet - I have dried these a bit and refitted but same thing happens - almost fire then nothing.
Plugs are NGK R grade 6's.
Car is running Greddy E manage blue, 255 fuel pump, Z32 MAF, 3071 turbo (none of this is new, just a simple injector change)
Do the injectors have to be insulated from the engine with these seals or is this not an issue?
Any help or advice welcome

Daz

pulsar_stu

First off you need heat range 7 or 8 for the plugs or they will melt the tips off and cause damage!

Sounds like you've flooded the engine so take the plugs out and heat them in the oven and try starting the car with them back in hot.
Remove the fuel pump fuse to stop more fuel going in.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
You're running the wrong plugs for a start. With your spec you should be on 8s, BCR8ES seems to be the plug of choice at the moment. What gap are you running?

You got the car with 560s or 750s? You're abit confusing in what you say. Did you have the car running 750s OK, or did the previous owner have them then he refitted 560s and sold it to you? If you're fitting 750s as a direct replacement for 560s, then as you stated it needs mapping.

Big Daz

Sorry, mind blank there - They are actually NGK 7's ! (8's are planned - but injectors were higher on the list ;) )

Stu - Yep its flooded alright, I just dont know how to stop it doing it......

Fast_Guy - I got the car running 560s, but it used to run 750's and is mapped for 750's with the previous owner. he sold those injectors seperate to the car and fitted the 560's as a stop gap to get the car running. All I am trying to do is switch back to 750's - Yes the prevoius owner had it running very well with 750s (hillclimbs with 380 bhp) Thats why I am struggling to understand why its flooding instantly I turn the key?

Cheers

Daz

pulsar_stu

Daz if you take the fuse out for the fuel pump that will stop it dumping more fuel in.

If you put your foot on the accelerater pedal straight to the floor and hold it there then start the engine that should stop it from putting fuel in aswell.

Like I said, stick the plugs in the oven. For about 5 mins so they are very hot, then put them in and repeat until the car fires up ;)

WEEGAZ22

Another thing to consider is are the Injectors you bought high or low impedance? as you will end up frying ecu of you dont have resistor packs for them if their a different type, but i agree that you cant just swap to bigger injectors without changing something in the management software, which is probably why its flooding cos it thinks it has 560's but its telling the 750 injector to operate on same setting as 560's so it will end up with more fuel in.

Big Daz

Morning All :)
Cheers for all the assistance.
The 750's I fitted came straight from a Pulsar, so are correct impedance. The car is actually mapped for 750's and only had the 560's fitted as a temporary measure to get the car mobile when I bought it.
Anyway - I removed the fuel pump fuse, cooked the spark plugs @ 140oC for 10 mins and refitted them - turned the car over and it caught for a few secs, stuck the fuel pump fuse back in then tried again and away he went :lol: ran it up to temp, then a few stop / starts to ensure all is good. The map is getting a tweak in a few weeks to iron out any glitches so now I can carru on with the other mods ;-)

Cheers

Daz

Fire & skill

Vintage member
so its all up and running ok now? I'd still get it on the rollers and have it mapped. where in Scotland are you?

Big Daz

Yep back up and running :lol:. Its booked into Performance HQ in Dalgety bay for Russs to do the geometry and tweak the mapping in a couple of weeks. then out on Track the following week..........
Oh I'm in Blairgowrie near Perth btw.

Daz