Cellulose paint question

Hi,

Im getting to the point of spraying the shell soon with cellulose paint, but ive read on various forums that painting cellulose over the top of different paint other than celly can cause reactions in the paint... Soooo does anyone know what type of paint the R was sprayed in from factory?

I am thinking of stripping back to bare metal using Starchem Synstrip, but heard its nasty stuff PPE is a must when using it!!! and the smells are strong and can stick around for a while, sure the neighbours will have something to say.

The other thing I read was spraying a barrier paint first before shooting celly primer to seperate the two different types of paint...

Cheers

Gaz

The Doc

Moderators
Staff member
Hi,

Im getting to the point of spraying the shell soon with cellulose paint, but ive read on various forums that painting cellulose over the top of different paint other than celly can cause reactions in the paint... Soooo does anyone know what type of paint the R was sprayed in from factory?

I am thinking of stripping back to bare metal using Starchem Synstrip, but heard its nasty stuff PPE is a must when using it!!! and the smells are strong and can stick around for a while, sure the neighbours will have something to say.

The other thing I read was spraying a barrier paint first before shooting celly primer to seperate the two different types of paint...

Cheers

Gaz

Is that not what stopper primer is used for?

rich1216

Barcoat is what it's called but I'd be dubious with celly. I'd bar coat a patch first and paint it and see what happens over night. Otherwise use 2 pac a lot less chance of a reaction